SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
superkaz661_gw

Would like to do some hard pruning--need advice on species/cuts

superkaz661
13 years ago

FYI 56k beware

Hey All-

I recently purchased a house that has two corner shrubs/trees that have become unmanageable. Last year, I tried to get the tops under control with a pole pruner, but have a really difficult time reaching. Both are nearly two stories tall.

The good news is that I think one is a holly, and one is a taxus, both to my understanding take a hard prune quite well. I'm attaching several pictures in hopes that someone can help me confirm that this is what they are and that I am correct that they can be hacked back pretty well without doing irreparable damage to the plants.

As to the yew, I think I'd like to cut it back almost to the main stump, leaving maybe 5 or six pieces of old wood about a foot or so long. This would leave nothing but old wood, terminating about 5.5 feet off the ground (main stump rises to about 4 to 4.5 My hope is that this could become a much more compact tree, and in fairly short order.

The holly I am less sure about. At the moment, it actually has a fairly nice weep to it, but again, its out of control. Would I be able to cut it back to the main stump plus several branches a la the yew? If so, I was thinking about cutting it at about 6 ft, as this is where it begins to branch off the main trunk.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

{{gwi:245121}}

{{gwi:245123}}

{{gwi:245125}}

{{gwi:245128}}

{{gwi:245131}}

{{gwi:245134}}

Comments (4)