SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chome360

Concerns with Fig Cuttings - Need some advice

chome360
11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to fig cuttings (or any cuttings) and I'm part way thru my first attempt. I used the bag method with 10 cuttings. I wrapped them in wet newspaper and kept warm and moist for 3.5 weeks. So far so good. All but two grew roots. Today I transferred to 18 oz clear cups in 100 percent perlite. I really wanted to do a 60/40 of permiculite/vermiculite, but after going to 5+ stores and striking out on vermiculite, I settled for only perlite. I found that others have done the same with success. I have the cups in a tupperware bin and am hoping to keep the temp above 70 F and the humidity at 80%+. What I'm hoping for some help with is the following questions.

1. 2 fo the 8 cuttings that I transferred to cups and permiculite had a very small amount of mold on one spot. I gave it a good wiping with a damp paper towel and continued. Is that okay or should I be throwing them out? Or seperating from the others?

2. How much should I be watering these since they are 100 percent perlite? I know the key is to keep them moist, but with all perlite they seemed to just drained 100% with little to no retention.

3. Do they need any sunlight at this point? I don't have them near a window.

Thank you in advance! A pic is below.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor