SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faerieannette

I love figs found this forum!! Can I get some quick advice?

faerieannette
12 years ago

Hi,

I am in Maryland. I would like to grow some figs! I have a couple questions and obstacles. First, we have deer around here!!! I am assuming deer will like figs. What are some of things people do to protect their figs? Second, I did not realize there were so many varieties. What are your favorite zone 7 figs? Third, I learned from reading through these forums some figs bloom on old wood while some on new wood. Do people typically heavily prune figs at the end of the growing season? How big do these things get? I am curious about the kind of space they need. I have seen posts talking about having a dozen or so varieties in containers. Sounds so cool! but where?

I am considering starting an edible garden against the side of the house. The area will only be able to extend about 3-4 feet away from the house and it will need to be fenced with some sort of chicken wire or hardware cloth. Perhaps that would be a good location for smaller varieties? Initially I expected to be able to just plant one like a bush in the front yard. But now I realize it might not be so simple.

Oh and anyone around Howard county have cuttings they could spare?

Thanks!

-Annette

Comments (8)