SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve1young

Pond Disturbance - Please, Not the Net

steve1young
14 years ago

You may or may not have noticed my recent post asking about advice on what to use to deter cats from my pond without disturbing my dog.

1) I don't have anything against cats. I actually love 'em.

2) I was never worried that a cat was ever going to eat any of my fish.

3) I'm open to the idea that maybe my problem isn't cats.

Here's my pond setup: in the middle of my 6-foot by 4-foot pond (2.5 feet deep) I've placed some bluestones ontop of milk crates and so now the entire middle area of the pond is full of marginal plants (8) atop the bluestone shelves.

Here's the problem: every other day or so, one of the plants is knocked off the shelf or somehow dislodged.

Here's what I'm thinking: I'm thinking that it's not raccoons because from what I've been reading here, if it were raccoons the entire pond would be a wreck and it wouldn't be just one pot knocked over or dislodged.

Here's what I'm wondering: What else do you think it could be? I'm not so sure anymore that it's cats.

Here's what I'm afraid of: The fish are hiding nearly all the time now. I haven't seen them happily swimming around the edges of the pond in quite a while. They seem pretty well spooked. And, I can't be sure of this because of their lack of visible movement, but I'm thinking that maybe 2 of my fav's are gone.

I live in a very tight suburban neighborhood. We're talking very small front/back yards and the houses are rather close together (picture something like Brooklyn/Queens). The last time anyone had a problem with a raccoon in the neighborhood was sometime last year.

With all that said ... do you think it's possible that a heron may have found my little heaven? The distance between the edge of the pond and the bluestone shelves in the middle is only about 8-12 inches and the fish have PLENTY of room to hide underneath, but you never know.

Break it to me gently. Is it time for netting (yuck!)?

Comments (12)