SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Koi Laying on Bottom of Pond - Please Help

ademink
14 years ago

This is a modification of my other post w/ more details and a different heading, hoping I will get more help.

16,000 gallon pond in Indianapolis, IN. It's approx 80 degrees F outside. 10 older koi - have had for 4-5 years, and several bluegill. Never have had health issues w/ the exception of a winter kill from fluctuating temps.

Last week added 5 baby koi - 4" or so. Koi were not quarantined (I know...) b/c quarantine tank cracked when I was getting it out of basement and small quarantine tank was accommodated by one koi w/ what i thought was fin rot (not).

Yesterday morning, all fish seemed fine...swarmed to be fed, etc.

Yesterday afternoon, large 20" butterfly laying on bottom of pond...odd for him/her.

Last night, she didn't swarm w/ the others. I parted the lilies this morning and saw her...she moved...swam and then "free fell" to bottom of pond. Every now and then will swim...then free-fall and lay there. Lists to the side a little. Breathing slightly labored but nothing major.

Now there are several others laying around her on the bottom.

It is much hotter here in the last couple of days than it has been.

Tested water...all parameters tested fine. Water quality appears to be ok (and bluegill are canaries in the mine when it comes to quality issues...all are ok).

It is spawning season. I don't know if maybe they are all tired? I don't remember them doing this. Something seems off. I don't know where to begin or what to do... HEEEEEEELP LOL

Aeration is not aggressive right now due to one of my pumps dying but nobody is gasping at surface or anything.

All new fish acting wild and completely fine. It is my 6 largest that seem to be having issues right now.

--Ammonia: 0ppm

--Nitrite: 0ppm

--Nitrate: Don't have a kit for that but have dip strips that say 0

--pH: 8.5-9

--KH: Don't have test for this

--GH: No test for this

--02: No test for this

--Salt: ditto

Thanks in advance.

Andrea

Comments (21)