SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodfiend_gardener

Please help me--Keeping a small pond healthy without a filter?

foodfiend_gardener
12 years ago

I had decided on a filter system for my 1200 gallon pond, but have decided to look for other options that would not require either running extension cords or hiring an electrician to add an outdoor outlet to the porch behind the pond.

Is it possible to maintain a healthy and nice-looking pond without running a filter?

We have several small goldfish and some plants.

The water lilies are quite small this year (most likely root-bound), and I hope to repot them in the next couple of days.

There's a lot of algae, but I am reading that adding a lot of plants (water hyacinth and water lettuce-- are there others?) will take care of this.

I can keep the leaves out with a net, and buy one of those suction-vacs to help keep the bottom clean-ish (the pond runs from 8" deep at one end to 20" at the other).

My Dad bought me a small fountain pump in a surplus store and, while it is small, it would aerate and I'd run it for a couple of hours a day in the warm months.

I've also read about products from Pond Logic (Oxy-Life Defense, Nature's Defense, Clarity Defense, and Muck Defense) and am thinking that using these would help. Has anyone used them with success? How about Barley Straw?

I also found a product online that may be an all-in-one:

PondCare 146B Pond-Zyme+ Enzymatic Pond Cleaner Barley

⢠Heavy duty pond cleaner

⢠Cleans and clarifies pond water

⢠Eliminates troublesome organic sludge and debris to create and maintain sparkling clean water gardens

⢠100-Percent natural

⢠Treats up to 16,000 U.S. gallons (60,560 L)

*sigh* There are simply a lot of products out there, how am I supposed to make a decision?!?!

The fish have been in this pond for over 10 years and are doing fine. I was thinking about adding a filter to cut down on the amount of work needed to keep the pond looking nice (after many years of outdoor work on our landscaping, my back is finally rebelling against any effort), but don't want to get involved with installing something that will need to use electricity.

I realize that this is a rambling post, but I would appreciate any advice or knowledge which any of you can give to me. THANK YOU. :)

Comments (26)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!