SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Rose Mosaic Virus & bloom quality

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

About thirty years ago, when I made my first attempt at growing roses I planted a few roses I ordered from Jackson and Perkins. One that I planted at that time was Proud Land. I was quite pleased with the performance of that rose bush. It gave me lots of velvety red blooms with a little black around the petal edges, I remember it being very lovely. Of course that rose is long gone. One time, probably around 2002 I was in Wal-Mart and bought a body bag of that same variety. That is a rare occurrence for me, it is something I almost never do. But since it was Proud Land and I think it was only $4.99, I thought I would go ahead and get it. Actually I had it for several years and it didn't perform too badly, but it was infected with rose mosaic virus. It bloomed fairly well, but the blooms were never like what I remembered on that first Proud Land. Does the mosaic virus effect the quality of the blooms? They were OK blooms, but not anything like what I remember on my first Proud Land. Is it a common occurrence to get infected roses when you purchase the body bag roses from the big box stores?

Comments (5)