SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Very fragrant Old red Roses...

luxrosa
13 years ago

Valentines day is arriving next week and red roses have been on my mind.

I was gathering cuttings from Luannes' garden this week when I came across a rose she had introduced to me last summer:

"W.E. Lippiat" a red H.T. that was introduced by Dickson, in 1907. I'd rate its scent as being 7 out of 10 for strength.

I love it because it has these traits:

-deep red rose, a bit darker than "Etoille de Hollande".

- and to my nose, "W.E. Lippiat" is even more strongly fragrant.

-It has an informal bloom form, not at all stiff and not high-centered, it has large petals on a bloom that opens widely.

It shows a bit of an H.P. influence in its sturdy growth habit character, and its rosebuds are shaped like an onion-domed Bourbon.

A modern rose that shows its' old rose ancestr

"Therese Lovat" has been unusually fragrant this week, I'd rate her nearly 6.7, out of 10, strong for a Tea.

I also love Francis Dubrueil"/Barcelona" for its strong damask rose type scent.

"Cramoisi Superior" has a sublime scent that reminds me of Japanese cherry flower incense.

I plan on planting a small red rose bed with "Boule de Neige" a white Bourbon that has red stained rosebuds among the red roses.

Has anyone dried petals of "Duchess of Portland"? I was wondering if they are as fragrant as dried petals of the "Apothecary Rose".

Would someone report on the most fragrant red Gallicas?

Luxrosa

P.s.. if only "Gloire des Rosomanes" were more fragrant... I can't imagine an Old Rose garden without it.

Comments (9)