SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

More water quality questions

Debbie Downer
11 years ago

Cant believe it - pond cleared up!!! And - zero ammonia, nitrites, nitrate. There's at least one baby fish in there that I could see.

Question - not sure though why the water is tinted reddish brown- could be more junk from the pine tree that I didnt notice when the water was pea soup green.

Or (more likely) lava rocks I used in my submersible filter and waterfall area - I spent hours rinsing them and still couldnt get them to rinse clean. I dont mind it (in fact I think it looks better/more natural than if it was swimming pool clear) but is there any reason why its not a good idea? What is the red in lava rocks anyway - iron? If so that might explain my plants looking healthier.

Also re: ph/alkalinity. Seems like the recent rains weve had has made the water slightly more acidic (dont have exact nos. in front of me but it made me wonder if during heavy prolonged rains that go on for days whether I would need to cover the pond or something.)

Also when I move some fish out that have been indoors - how much of a difference in ph/alkalinity would there need to be for it to be a concern?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider