SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ambient_gw

Water Quality and Hydroponics/Gardening

Ambient
11 years ago

Hi all. I have a question in regards to hydroponics and water, but this could be for any gardening purpose that uses water I assume.

I'm wanting to get an RO system, but was real worried about water water and the added price to the water bill.

From the sound of things, hydroponics is much worse in comparison to standard gardening since it's required to change the nutrient

solution around the 2 week mark for standard grows(but then again, that depends). So using RO doesn't seem to be that efficient in terms of water usage.

So I came to the conclusion that I will still get an RO system, but ONLY for drinking water and the rare times I may need RO water(in small quantities).

I see this as saving on the monthly bill and reducing wear and tear on the filters by aging them much faster.

I haven't started hydroponic growing yet(I'm in an apartment), so I'm just getting planning done. My system is going to consist of 2 reservoirs(27 gal each).

Both of which will probably only have 20-25gal of water in them at a time. I will also have a 7"x4'x4' lettuce raft as well.

My questions:

My local municipal has both chlorine/chloramine(since 2012) and I was curious how you growers go about removing these?

Was under the impression that water let set out for 3 days will drastically reduce it's chlorine content, but wont do nothing for the chloramine.

We also have hard water. I know there are nutrient solutions out there that work along side hard water, but I was curious if there's another way to reduce overall TDS?

Do any of you use a filter that hooks up to a garden hose or something similar? I would have to rig one of these up to a faucet if these would be ideal.

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists