SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duchesse_nalabama

Who lives in your ghetto?

duchesse_nalabama
15 years ago

I have the following in my pg - who's in yours?

Souv de Francois Gaulain

Atocha Gold

Smith's Parish

Caramel Fairy Tale

Anne Marie Montreval

Leonie Lamesch

Louis XIV

Jean Bach Sisley

Comments (54)

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ooh, Elaine, you have the Radiance clan - is that all of it? I don't have any of them and may next year ... and I almost ordered Coquette de Blanches; it sure seemed like a beauty.

Do you have a Grandmother's Hat? I'd wondered if Larry D and GH would do okay in the south. I've read how much Jeri and some other Californians love it...

• cweathersby
    15 years ago

There are 36 or 37 bands from Vintage that I ordered this fall and/or spring and potted up. I'd really like to plant them before the weather gets hot, but I'm scared.

• Related Discussions

Do we use mulch in the ghetto?

Q

Comments (5)
    I used compost last year and suspect that the supplier did a lousy job composting it because those pots had the worst weeds of all -- I mean a career case of all the worst weeds. So I'm at a loss. The two pots with wood chips had almost no weeds, and I'm tempted to go that way this year. For now, I'm barerooting a lot of my potted roses to remove really invasive weeds. If that doesn't work....they are compost.
    ...See More

A question about pot ghettos

Q

Comments (22)
    I have a medium-sized pot ghetto alongside my carport. I used to have roses out in the yard too, but the lawn-mower people kept running them down, no matter how often I admonished them about it, (you know, you can explain things to people, but you can't understand for them). So, I got disgusted and created a pot ghetto near the carport where I could control everything. I may have 20 or so 24" pots snuggled there. Watering is easier since I do it overhead off a home-made system, and I water them for 30 minutes every other day, (we are on water restrictions because of the drought here in the southeast). Ferilizing is easier too, and I still have the roses I want right at hand. Once upon a time, in another life, I looked after over 400 roses in another garden, but now that I am unencumbered, have only about fifty. A gracious plenty, I assure you. Besides, our local society has a Memorial Garden downtown with 45 or so in it, and that takes care of the desire for more. I have never been a big fan of HTs, but can tolerate 45 of them rather well downtown. Here at the house, I have all Chinas and they are very disease resistent, yet give me the blooms and colors I like. As far as room for a pot ghetto is concerned, I can move the pots around into as many combinations of bloomers and colors as I want depending in the amount of sun the roses like and will tolerate. I just have to remember that roses in pots need watering and fertilizing more frequently then roses in the ground because they tend to drain more quickly and the ferilizer moves through the soils faster then otherwise. I'm very happy with my pot ghetto, and wouldn't change a thing about it.
    ...See More

Thinning the pot Ghetto

Q

Comments (20)
    Laura - the cuttings didn't die! One has even bloomed. They are doing well and seem happy. The Mad Kitten McQueen tipped one over in a crazed dash around the orchid/begonia corner while trying to get an anole but I repotted it quickly and the spill didn't seem to have any ill effect on it. That's the one that bloomed so maybe it was good for it! I have them on the rolling orchid stand (they're in the wire baskets) so when the sun gets too hot later this summer I can move them into deeper shade. Kate )))))))))))))))))
    ...See More

The Pot Ghetto from The Land Called Honalee.))))pic heavy...

Q

Comments (27)
    Postal code in Canada but I get the jist! Lol, Cindy! I will feel much better when all those babies are in the ground and tucked in for winter. I'll start worrying about them in about April. Maryl ~ God I hope you don't get as crazy as me! I can do it temporarily here cause I have the room and am waiting for beds! If, on the other hand, I have inspired you to be true to yourself and follow your heart, then by all means enjoy! I'll post pics and names as I plant them starting tomorrow. I have quite a few larger roots to put directly in the ground and we are expecting a nice, warm day! The dogs like to help by licking the sweat off my brow and lying around making sure I am doing it right! Shelties are such workaholics! :)
    ...See More
  • duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carrie, is there a particular variety or kind you're adding this year, or is it a mix? I saw that Texas is under tornado threat; I hope you all don't have any weather disasters.

• melva
    15 years ago

Me too..the storms are heading this way....

• len511
    15 years ago

I'm in Shawnee, ok, it is hailing now, and there is a report of a tornado west of okc, I am east of okc, but I have 3 roses I bought at chamblees earlier.
    2 edens and a betty prior. They are in the sleeper.

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tornadoes are scarey; I'll be praying for you all tonight. Sammy is out that way too, in Oklahoma, I think.

• jbfoodie
    15 years ago

I do have locations in mind for most of these, though there are a few without prospective homes:

White Maman Cochet
    Le Pactole
    Mrs. Foley Hobbs
    Mlle. de Sombreuil
    Gilbert Nabonnand
    Eugene Furst
    R. banksiae banksiae
    Barcelona
    Perle d'Or
    Violette
    Elie Beauvilain
    Alpine Sunset
    Unknown Yellow Climber
    Heritage

I took cuttings from some roses I sp'd--Alpine Sunset, Unknown Yellow Climber (possible Golden Showers) and Heritage. The rest have potential homes.

• oldblush
    15 years ago

Gean, I've not had lots of luck with most Austins. BS, lack of rebloom and monstrous size have resulting in me shovel pruning most. Three that remain and will stay are Tamora, L.D. Braithwaite and Christopher Marlowe. I do have to spray these but it's worth it.
    {{gwi:231272}}

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm familiar with all of those except the Eugene Furst and the Elie Beauvilain. I had to look them up. The EB is gorgeous, and a noisette!

I have a few of the Cochets; I love them.

That's a nice group of roses, I hope they all do well for you. Thanks for sharing your list.

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hamp, that's a beautiful group of roses. I love those colors. Maybe in a year or two I'll try them. Thanks for posting it. Gean

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Yep, the storm is begining to hit here as I type. It's pouring rain out there.
    I admit to liking the sound of the thunder & seeing the lighting, especially at night like this (we don't get rain that often & I'm easily entertained).

In my pot ghetto? Just these two:

Heritage (it was a cutting I rooted from my 6 ft tall plant)
    Basye's Blueberry (it's in a huge container & is liking it)

Oops, sirens are going off ... bye.

Randy

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

The tornado warnings are over for my county now.
    All is good.
    Lots of rain. Roses should be happy.

Randy

• jbfoodie
    15 years ago

I saw Elie Beauvilain at Vintage at open garden last year. I fell in love with it. Here is a picture:
    {{gwi:231273}}

It was just so amazing that I had to order it.

Joanne

• User
    15 years ago

Old Korbel Gold, Marie de St Jean, Madame Wagram, Duchess of Albany, Madame JP Soupert.

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Randy, that's very good news! I was watching the weather earlier and noticed that line of storms was moving into Dallas. That probably means it's over for Melva too.

Lens, what is a sleeper? I forgot to ask you earlier. Glad ya'll escaped. I saw the damage in other parts of Oklahoma. I used to live there and saw Wichita Falls totally blown away - 20 years ago was it?

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joanne, oh, my that is a beautiful rose. I want one.

labrea, I now know that La France has a sport; that is really pretty. The Old Korbel Gold has wonderful colors and the Madame JP Soupert's pic on hmf was beautiful. Thanks for increasing my rose repertoire and I hope they do wonderfully for you.

• mendocino_rose
    15 years ago

Only well behaved people can respond to this and make a little list. Actually my regular PG isn't that bad, but there is a whole field full of ramblers in pots, a collection I have taken over. We are nearly done with the fence for them and will start to plant soon.
    I love the photo of Elie B. I have that rose in my garden. It is a beauty.

• len511
    15 years ago

Duchesse, I drive an 18 wheeler, the sleeper is behind the cab where I sleep.
    I went from Shreveport yesterday to Shawnee, ok and just so happen to go up 69, so only a mile detour maybe to chamblees. I bought 28 roses around Christmas that went in the trailer, I wanted to get a couple more edens to join the one I planted around the grapevines. Since I had a load of motorcyles this time, I had to put them to bed with me, so I was restrained by how many I could buy. Only spent $12.81!! I am so proud of myself. If I ever had an mt trailer and on my way to the house and a pocket full of money, I'm
    Afraid chamblees boneyard would be empty.LOL!!

• mashamcl
    15 years ago

Mme. Berard,
    Elie Bauvilain,
    Crepuscule,
    Lady Hillingdon,
    Rosette Delizy,
    Georgetown Tea,
    Mme. Caroline Testout,
    Sophie's Perpetual,
    Souv. de Claudius Denoyel,
    Variegata di Bologna,
    Secret Garden Musk Climber,
    Margo Koster.
    I have actually been organized enough to find space for all of them, a miracle!

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pam, hmmm, well behaved people? Well, I do think of my roses as having specific identities and histories, so I guess it is well behaved to know who is waiting for a place in my yard.

But actually, the question was only to help me become acquainted with roses I don't know that others have found important enough to purchase. And I agree, the EB is a spectacular looking plant. I'm glad to have learned about it.

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lens, that makes me laugh. The one time I went to Chamblees it was on the way home to Alabama from Dallas. We were in a mini cooper, packed to the hilt and I only managed to stuff in two roses! absolutely no room! I wish I'd had a sleeper to stuff roses into. Glad you didn't get blown away by the tornadoes last night.

• melva
    15 years ago

The storm moved through here pretty quickly..lots of thunder and lightning and much needed rain...and some pea sized hail.
    I am not saying how many are in my pot ghetto...

• ehann
    15 years ago

Duchesse,

I have a Granmother's Hat already in the garden, a two year old plant, grown out from a band. This was my first Bourbon? HP? (I forget which it is) and it is growing well. Still kind of spindly, but puts out the most fragrant flowers fairly regularly.

I have two whopping basals that popped out of the ground a few days ago, YAY.

The white sport, Larry Daniels, is from Ashdown. It's probably equivilant to band sized--but growing well in it's new pot.

GH gets some sort of weird crud on the leaves, not exactly blackspot, and not really mildew. Just cruddy, and I spray. But those flowers...I'll put up with it.
    Elaine

• homenovice
    15 years ago

After this spring's reassessment (a dozen roses removed), I was able to plant nearly everything in my pot ghetto. I love it! Still in the ghetto growing up from bands: Perle d'Or, Belinda's Dream (growing up for a friend), Lady Hillingdon, Peace (VID from Vintage), Kronprinzessin Viktoria.

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

I never had a pot ghetto (or did any driveway gardening) until I met Connie (hartwood). My pot ghetto is subdivded. This is craziness. And, I love every second of it.

Robert

• thonotorose
    15 years ago

OMG, lens... A mile from Chamblees AND an 18 wheeler! Be still my heart.

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

Well, at the beginning of December I was down to 1 or 2 in the pot ghetto - quite an accomplishment! Since then there's been a population explosion.
    Anna Olivier
    Blush Noisette
    Blumenschmidt
    Borderer
    Gartendirektor Otto Linne
    Mrs Dudley Cross
    Souv d'Elise Vardon
    Sally Holmes
    Enchantress
    Souv de Francois Gaulain
    Souv de la Malmaison (2)
    Souv de la Malmaison Climbing
    Fortune's Double Yellow
    And 3 'Honeycomb' Buddleias

Permanent pots don't count, right?

Sherry

• hartwood
    15 years ago

I'm not sure anyone has actually come out and called me a bad influence before .... at least it was a rosy influence. :)

I gave up on EVER getting ALL the pots planted. There's just too many of them at the same time -- new ones come almost as fast as the old ones are planted. I'm with Pamela on this, I have a fence to build before I can plant the non-Barbier wichuriana ramblers, the Austins are waiting for the ground beside the Tiki Hut to be prepped for them, the greenhouse holds my minis from Sequoia's closing last year until I arrange them into my mini landscape ... and you all have already seen how many I have coming from Vintage in April. You know the drill .... they have to be potted.

FYI, there's not a single pot in the driveway right now. There's a heap of roses BESIDE the driveway under the spread of a cedar tree, however. Most of the smaller pots are buried in my topsoil pile out by the barn. It's going to be like an archeological expedition to retrieve them when spring comes.

Connie

• jbcarr
    15 years ago

I got a HUD plan going last year and planted all but 3. Now I have a few more on the way, and the challenge starts all over...

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alas, Carol, Pam, Connie, Robert ...

I must tell you that if you think the rest of us are well behaved because we have pot ghettoes that number less than 50, you are sadly deceived.

We are all plotting ways to rid our homes of our garages, sell family jewelry to pay for our Vintage bill, and take over our neighbor's yards, all to acquire and plant more roses. And Lens is considering adding a top deck to the 18 wheeler so as to plant roses and haul them along on truck journeys.

This is the truth.

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

and Melva,
    as a rose peddler, you are in a class by yourself. :)

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mashamcl, you have that Elie B in your potto ghetto. I am really getting quite jealous now. And I love polyanthas and have none of the Kosters. I've been curious about that group. I only have one of the yellow tea noisettes, Reve d'Or; Mme Berard looks like a beauty.

And ever since I read about Souv de Claudius Denoyel I have wanted it. What a nice group of roses, thank you so much.

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Elaine, thank you for telling me you grow GH; the blooms are so beautiful. Maybe one day I'll get it too. I hope LD is as good for you.

homenovice, I want Kronz V, but am waiting to see how Mystic Beauty does before I try it. It's time to build up that ghetto again!

Sherry, are you going to grow your Fortune DY up into a tree? That is such a pretty rose. You have some other teas I've thought about getting, but haven't. I hope the climbing SDLM does spectacular for you. Keep us posted.

Jb, are you planting roses at HUD homes? or does HUD stand for something like Have Unlimited Dollars for land and roses? inquiring minds want to know...

Thank you all for posting. I've enjoyed seeing everyone's lists. Pam, you and Connie and Robert and Carol all have to keep posting pictures so we can live vicariously ...!

• mauirose
    15 years ago

You know, now that i have learned How to Properly Count Roses i can say that my pg is practically deserted. Really.

• barbarag_happy
    15 years ago

Sweet Chariot's up on the deck, and on the patio: Tamora, Marie Pavie, Martha Gonzales in the nice pots and a 2 gal. Lamarque that would much rather be in the ground...I was moving the patio roses around so if another rose was resting I'd place a pot in the foregound on the patio. But OOOF several of my roses have been repotted and it's they're not going to be so mobile this season.

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

Gean, that's my dream - to grow FDY up into the oak trees. I have so little ground left, and the roots of big oaks is not a great place to plant a rose. But I was thinking of filling this low spot at the base of the tree with good soil, cutting out the bottom of a really big pot, and planting FDY in it and let it do its thing. It would have to lean in to the tree so maybe that would be a good thing as far as keeping it away from traffic on the path. It has vicious prickles that catch on everything, but I would love to see it big and beautiful and under control (silly woman.) I can't seem to part with it so I'm living in a state of denial, I think, unless this plan works. I hope it's a tough rose as far as establishing roots in this situation. That's the impression I get from pictures anyway.

This is the pot (20"+ diameter) and the spot. I think I'll have to lash it to the tree and hope for the best.
    {{gwi:231274}}

Sherry

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sherry, in re planting roses under trees, Patrici43 said a few years ago to put the rose into a box and bury the whole thing and that by the time the rose roots grew out of the box it would be strong enough to handle the tree roots. I did that with a Sally Holmes, who is a big girl. So far, so good, I think. The hard part was digging a hole big enough for the box! Just a thought ...

Pretty spot.

Barbarag, Lamarque is another of those roses I would like to have. sigh.

Okay, Maui. Tell me how to Properly Count Roses. I think I need to know this.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

Thanks, Gean, I remember that post of Patricia's. I will do that. It sounds better than the pot idea. Thank you for thinking of it.

Sherry

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

I have 'Enfant de France' and 'Sophy's Rose' still in pots. Everything else I've managed to finally get into the ground! Yipee!

• jannorcal
    15 years ago

Like carolfm, I would tell you, but it would take too long to type. Basically consists of just about every tea that Vintage has carried in the past 6-9 months (that we don't grow in the cemetery), including the aforementioned and pictured Elie Beauvilain. Plus many self propagated roses, several HPs, a few tea-noisettes and a couple china roses.
    And then there are the 160 roses I've propagated for the cemetery sale in April and the two dozen or so roses I've propagated from a recent rose rustle.
    I may not be quite in Connie's league, but I'm trying :-)

The roses for the cemetery sale:
    {{gwi:231275}}

Mostly teas, HPs, couple of roses for the sale:
    {{gwi:231276}}

The latest cuttings rooted for the cemetery sale on the south side of the house to get good sun in winter:
    {{gwi:231277}}

Janelle

• mauirose
    15 years ago

Janelle, oh my! i am suddenly feeling quite moderate ; )

Okay, Maui. Tell me how to Properly Count Roses.

Quite a useful technique i learned from thontorose who apparently learned from Kim but surely you are already familiar with this particular counting convention?

Here is a link that might be useful: See f/u #26, near the bottom

• carla17
    15 years ago

Topaz Jewel
    Won Fang Yon
    Fara Shimbo
    Chapeau de Napoleon
    Jeri Jennings
    Belle De Crecy
    Aunt Margy's Rose
    Sunshine
    Lady Hillingdon
    Rosette Delizy
    Too many to type but my number is under 30 at least.

Carla

• mendocino_rose
    15 years ago

I just wanted to add that I think pot ghettos are a necessary part of an on going rose garden. It's good to have young roses growing that could be a replacement. Really small roses have a tough time if they have to be planted in between two other already large plants. Anyway I don't think we have any reason to feel guilty. It's a pleasure to watch the little ones grow in their pots.

• daun
    15 years ago

Janelle,

When will you have the list of available rose's for the spring sale? I am chomping at the bit...

It looks like a very healthy batch for the sale. Good job!

Daun

• jannorcal
    15 years ago

Maui - you can feel even more moderate because not included in those photos are the rose rustle roses and about a dozen or so recent Vintage roses!

And Pam's comment reflects a huge part of my problem. I have found that I really enjoy propagating. It is amazing to take a small cutting from a plant and watch it develop into a whole rose. I have Monsieur Tillier that I self propagated about 18 months ago. It is now quite a large plant and more than ready to go into the ground. Part of why many of my personal roses are not planted is twofold: a) I was looking to purchase a different home and have delayed planting in case I moved, but have since decided I will probably stay here, and b) I had major surgery in October and have limited use of my right arm.

This spring there will be much SPing and many of the Vintage teas will finally be planted. The roses for sale at the cemetery will be moved out of my veggie garden beds probably by the end of March so I can start prepping those beds for my tomatoes.

BTW, the Sacramento cemetery OPEN GARDEN is April 18th.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sacramento Cemetery Open Garden

• jannorcal
    15 years ago

Daun,
    We haven't finalized the list of plants yet. Anita was here on Saturday helping me inventory. Once we have a final count, those plants that we have at least 3 or 4 of will go into the catalog. Jeri has started working on the catalog.
    Be assured that it will be posted here once it is done.
    Janelle

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Janelle, thanks for the photo. I don't feel so bad anymore :-)....That is a whole bunch of healthy looking roses you have there.

Pam is right. I have to grow the babies out so that they can compete with the established roses. Plus, I have to evaluate them to determine if they deserve a bit of soil to call their own.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :-)

Carol

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hoovb, Sophy's rose must be a beautiful Austin; it's on another list too, and I guess your Enfant de France is the hybrid perpetual? I had to look at five roses to figure that out :)

Carla, that's a nice list. I didn't realize that Crested Moss had Chapeau de Napoleon as a synonym. I don't have any mosses, either. I think I read a thread discussing them in the southeast not too long ago. Do they do well for you- you have several, don't you?

Janelle, thanks for posting your pictures. I am very admiring of your ability to propagate and be such a help to the cemetery. Learning to propagate well is a skill I'd like to learn. I'd love to be such a help to a rose garden someplace.

See, I want my pg to be larger, not smaller.

Pam, I think you're totally right. I started the thread to see what people have waiting, not to discount the value of them.

Thank you again. Gean

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol, when you first started rose gardening were you so very careful with what you first planted? Or is your method of evaluating roses one that you developed after your garden was first planted and then you've replaced roses with others you've found to be superior?

I am very admiring of your pg, actually. It's actually a rose laboratory :)

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Gean, I wasn't careful at all when I first started buying and planting roses! Consequently I have spent a lot of time digging up roses and that is hard work in this red clay. Now I grow them out in pots and decide if I like them enough and if they are healthy enough to keep them. My garden is pretty much busting at the seams so for a rose to come in, a rose has to go out. It has to be superior to what is in the ground to earn a space. By doing this I have also been able to try lots of different kinds of roses and I've had some nice surprises. I've found Bourbons, Austins, HP's, and Portlands that actually like it here though the numbers of roses that have left the premises far outnumber the ones I have kept. Also, I love Teas and they are huge plants so I can't grow them all, but this allows me to try a lot of them and keep the ones that I love the most :-). My theory is that I really won't know if a rose will work in my garden and climate until it is actually in my garden and climate. :-)

Carol