SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coeng

my first seedling setup (with pics)

coeng
11 years ago

So I planted 72 partitions tonight and all I have to say is that I hope I did it right because this was my first time ever.

After adding soil to the partitions I moistened the surface of each partition with a spray bottle then made a hole in each according to the depth for each seed per the instructions. After I added a few seeds in each partition I gently used my wooden ID sticks to delicately mix the seeds into the soil of each partition. I did not top dress the partitions with extra soil so I would not add to the depth of the seeds.

After all 72 partitions were done, I placed the flat on a heating mat (which sits on styrofoam insulation) and placed my new growing light a couple of inches from it.

See photos below. The third pic shows the light raised so that you can see the inside of the flat better.

A couple of questions:

1) Is the growing light too close?

2) The 2" lid has side vents that I opened half way to let some air in. Is this OK? Should I open the vent at the top of the lid?

3) Should the growing light be on 24/7 for the time being? Do I need to worry about melting the top of the plastic lid from the heat of the growing lamp?

4) What about watering from this point on? I believe I'm supposed to remove the seedlings from the flat, add water (how much and how often?) to the bottom of the flat and put the seedlings back in so that they could draw the water in from underneath. Right now the only water I added was when I moistened the soil prior to planting the seeds.

5) Is growing in my garage not advisable for any reason? We're getting a late start to the spring here in the Northeast and its not exactly warm in my garage but not exactly freezing cold.

6) I will be out of town for four days next week. Do I need to ask someone to care for them in my absence?

7) Do I need to monitor the temperature of the heating mat and/or get a timer for it?

{{gwi:231756}}

{{gwi:231758}}

{{gwi:231759}}

{{gwi:231760}}

Comments (15)