SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccaggiano_gw

I think I am giving up on this...

ccaggiano
16 years ago

Last year I had a very successful garden (cuc's, tomatoes, eggplant and basil.) I bought some plants from Home Depot. Everything thrived and I had a great garden. I loved the whole experience so much that this year, I decided to buy seeds and start everything myself. I built new beds. And was so excited about the upcoming season. I bought seeds for everything from green beans to pumpkins.

Well, I tried starting a few different seeds. I've had pretty good success with germination but my kids ended up pulling most of the seedlings or drowning them in water.

Point and case, I am spending countless hours tending to my onions. I had a very healthy and abundant crop going. But, after my kids got through with them, I have 9 plants left. Between my time, the cost of transplanting and the havoc my kids wrecked on them, these onions will probably prove to be the most expensive onions known to man. I am figuring about $2.00 per onion. For all of my time, expense and nurturing, I am better off growing pot. At least I will gain a return on my investment (that is a joke!!!)

The other seeds I have sowed have yet to germinate (after a week.) Maybe I am being impatient because up here, it is too early to start most seeds so I am only working with onions, lettuce and parsley.

And for the record, I started a bunch of lettuce seeds in a cell pack. Watered after I put the seeds in and must have flooded it. Each cell pack had a ton of seeds growing in just the three left cells. I know that I will learn from this experience but at this point, I think I bit off more than I can chew.

I think next year, I am going to buy the heirloom plants from catalogs. And only buy seeds that can be sown directly into the garden.

But, in the hope that all is not lost, I adjusted my shelving units and the seeds and grow lights are about six feet off the ground. Absolutely no way that the little monsters can get to them. Hopefully, things will get better!!!

Comments (7)