SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chippy_gw

I think I may give it up..... :(

chippy
15 years ago

Hi all,

Been awhile since I posted. Hope all is well. Having a bad time with my trees this year. Strange what happened to everything I have.

Last winter, I stored a b. Yatay, b. capitata and a King sago palm in the garage. I would open the door during warmer days. All came out alive and well. Some had little brown on their branches, but all lived. My two trachys in the ground, the one uncovered was its first winter and came out beat up, but lived. My other large trachy (the one i DONT want to die) had a simple plastic around it. It was its second winter. Came out with flying colors.

Anyway, this past winter, I did exactly the same things. Yes, it was colder than the last, but nothing extreme in my opinion.

Well, looks like all my plants went kapoot. :(

1. B. Yatay in pot. Cut all the branches off since they were dry and lost color. The branch emerging appears green. Hoping it makes it.

2. B. Capitata same look as the Yatay, but looks all dry and discolored. Not brown, like a very light greenish white. Don't see this thing doing anything.

3. King Sago, May be still alive, but all branches are brown.

4. My front in ground unprotected trachy. Some brown tips. Weather became warmer and looks worse and worse. The branches emerging look blackish and rotted. I sprayed copper dust with water in the center. Same thing I did last year. Doesn't look like like it helped. Center spear pulled out when I lightly tugged it today. :(

5. My big Trachy. This one has me stumped. If there's one I want to live, please help me on this one! I covered it with my sons play house. It covers nearly the entire thing. Has some windows which don't close and such, but I did the same thing last year. Anyway, I took the play house off about a month ago. The trachy looks awesome, like it came through with flying colors. Was really happy.

Well, a month later. It has done nothing but declined in health. It showing the same symptoms as my front trachy. The leaf tips are turning brown, the center spears are turning brownish and getting "wrinkled" looking.

I dont get it. It waited for warmer weather for it to die?

If anyone can just give me advice on my big trachy, I would be happy to keep it going. This is the 3rd winter in the ground. I sprayed some copper dust mixed with water in the center like the front.

Any opinions on at least the big trachy? I think I may be giving up growing tropicals here. I was on a good streak then it appears they all gave up!

Sorry for writing so much. A little upset and wanted to vent. :-/

Chip

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert