SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jj_upstateny

info and growth rates for Blue Hollies (such as Prince/Princess)

jj_upstateny
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a newbie. I just removed a row of overgrown hemlocks from the edge of our property in a suburban neighborhood. They were very tall and scraggly on the bottom, so they blocked a ton of light but didn't add much. I would like to put in some holly trees for some screening and to attract wildlife. I don't really want a hedge, but rather would like to put in two or three plants (how many??) that, when fully grown, would be 10 to 12 feet tall or thereabouts. They would get a sun for several hours a day. My lot is long and shallow, and this is the short end, so I can stagger the plantings or set them back and give them room to get some width. This length of property that is now tree-less is probably 15-20 feet between a short retaining wall on one side of the property, and another hemlock on the other. The soil is pretty good, not compacted, but does have some roots in these from those trees (plus a large maple nearby). It is bordered by a neighbor's driveway on one side, and lawn on the other.

I'm a newbie but Blue Prince/Princess, China Boy/Girl, or Blue Stallion/Maid seem like good options. I'd like them to be somewhat pyramidal when fully grown, but I'm not picky -- I'd like not to have to do many prunings each year for years on end. I'd be willing to invest in small tree specimans (a few feet tall?), if I can find them, which will probably mean getting them through someone who will install them.

So... I'd love feedback on the pros and cons of these cultivars, people's experiences, and in particular a sense of how fast these grow. I see some web sites that say that these grow to 6-8 feet, then others that say they grow to 12-14. Any suggestions from those who are more experienced than I?

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Comments (5)