SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverdown_gw

Is ponding really good for your health?

riverdown
14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm beginning to doubt that statement.

As some of you may know I've got a newly built pond & looked forward to sitting by the pond of an evening glass of wine in hand et etc, but all I seem to have had is stress! I just seem to lurch from one crisis to another. My most recent trauma is introducing some rescue fish into my pond which then subsequently infected all my recent purchases aaargh!

I should have known better, I know but I'm a sucker for a hard luck story. A local 3/4 of an acre pond was leaking badly and there was no way of getting water to it so the owner was desperate to find homes for her fish. Me & my husband went to have a look & she had in an aerated outdoor paddling pool two beautiful very healthy looking 12" ghost koi, an 8" shubunkin & lots of varied babies. Well I was sold! After a major effort we got the guys into our pond & all seemed ok for a bit. We then went on holiday for a few days & came back to a very unhappy pond. Not only did it look like next door had been overfeeding them but a lot of the fish were covered in fungus & some were dead! We took a fish to a local expert & with his help (our water quality was spot on) have now successfully treated the pond, I tried desparately to save the shubunkin but I lost him & a few of the babies. I feel gutted, I'm never going on holiday again. It's taught me a big lesson, if we can't quarantine, treat the pond anyway for everything that might happen or maybe I should just invest in a few plastic fish!

I also bought one of those water scarecrows, because that is probably going to be the next crisis I face. Tried fitting it last night, oh it works ok, just can't get the arc & settings right as my drenched clothes & hair can testify to, gave up in disgust. Will need some serious wine before I have another go!

Regards

(in a very bad mood now!)

Janette

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz