SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Beautiful solutions to garden problem?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
15 years ago

Every garden poses certain problems that require some ingenuity or creativity on our parts to solve. I'm wondering about a particular problem you encountered and how you turned it into a challenge that yielded especially beautiful effects.

Let me give an example.

Problem: Having run out of space for more roses, I finally realized that that empty narrow strip between my neighbor's garage and my driveway got lots of sun, but it was narrow enough that I couldn't plop down just any rose I wanted. I also like to have some contrasting plantings around my roses--again not much room for that.

Solution: AFter a lot of pondering and searching, I selected a single row of more vertical/narrower/taller growing roses that feature large fragrant blooms; a couple Elinas, a Peter Mayle, and a couple Mrs. John Laings (my first hybrid perpetuals). I allowed a little extra room between them so I could add low-growing plants down below. The requirement was that the low-growers had to be true-blue or electric blue. That means, a lot of mini delphiniums that grow about 15 in. tall, lots of lobelia, a couple low-growing salvia, and anything else I see that flaunts its blueness and is shorter. So now I have a mass of gorgeous lower-level blues swirling around the narrow bed, with tall/slender roses rising up like punctuation marks out of the blue bed. When the roses are resting between cycles, the blue bed still invites comment from visitors to my garden.

I never would have thought of that combination of plants/colors if I had not had the particular problem of how to make a narrow bed interesting.

Have you had to overcome some problem and been quite delighted by the solution you found? I'd love to hear about it.

Kate

Comments (9)