SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Those in drought check your water meters...

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

We only get our water bill every two months, which is very annoying. Anyway, they are threatening serious rationing as of April 1, so my DH and I were starting to get ready for that. I wanted to check the water meter now and in a few weeks, so we would have an idea of how much water we are using now. Sure enough, when we did it was moving slowly. Checked all of the water inside and out, and nothing was on. My DH figured out that it was outside, which meant a leak in the irrigation system (which I have been turning on for 2 weeks and off for 2 weeks lately). Drat!

Nothing was visible, so he started digging around each cluster of the thingies that control the irrigation. Three hours later, and 18 inches under the ground, he found an area that kept filling up with clear water after he sucked it out with an industrial vacuum. Clue! Long story short, two days and several more hours of digging alongside a plumber, they found the leak. They had thought it might have been in our main water supply line (109 years old), between the meter and the first valve, but thank heavens it wasn't. That would have required replacing the entire line, which is 60 feet long and runs all the way from the street, under the sidewalk, under the entire front garden, and then under all of our house - very expensive. Turned out the leak was in a section of abandoned but pressured side line which they were able to cap. So, we did an experiment with a hose and a bucket to reproduce the amount the water meter had been moving - turned out to be 480 gallons per 24 hours - YIKES! No wonder our last water bill was so high! I had been blaming it on the fact that the winter rates are way higher than the summer ones, but looked at the bill and the gallons were too high also. The water company is sending me a form to fill out to get a rebate - we will see how that works. Theoretically they will rebate the an estimate (theirs, of course) of the overpayment due to a leak, once you can prove (the plumber's bill works) that you have fixed it. We shall see, although right now they are being way more cooperative than usual, because they really do want people to find and fix leaks. Pic of the mess - the main line was 2 feet down, and above it were several side lines taking off from it.

Jackie

Comments (12)