SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westender_gw

positive aspects of drought/watering ban

WestEnder
16 years ago

Although of course I am very concerned about the water situation, it has also occurred to me that there are some positive aspects to this whole thing.

For instance, at Pike Nurseries last weekend every plant in the place was marked 30 percent off! Everything! What a great opportunity! Other nurseries are having similar sales, some at 50 percent off and even higher. Of course, a few of them are having to go out of business, which is a terrible loss in the long run, but in the short run it means we'll get wonderful sales of everything remaining in those stores.

And not only are there lots of good sale prices at the plant stores, but service is great. Until now, when is the last time a nursery employee followed you around Pike's begging to help you carry your plants or offer you helpful advice on plant selection? I felt like a queen on Saturday while shopping.

Then, because there is an exception to the watering ban for food crops, we'll see a new focus on edible plants. As someone who believes that all people should grow at least some of their own food, I am encouraged by this. I would love to see food-producing plants planted in public spaces, for instance - blueberries and crabapples instead of azaleas and dogwoods. Pecan trees instead of oaks.

All this attention to the environment can't hurt, either. I am really getting a kick out of listening to the governor and the army argue about how many days of water are left in Lake Lanier. 81, 100, what's the diff? Either way, it's a frightening thought and demands that all citizens pay attention to what our government is doing to protect our water supply. It also encourages us to take conservation measures, ourselves, which many people would otherwise never have done.

And finally, for those who have always had grudges against particular neighbors, there is now this great opportunity to turn them in and actually get a quick response from the police! Catch your neighbor washing his car or watering a shrub, and you can have a squad car on the block within the hour. What fun!

Comments (20)

Sponsored