SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherribaby_gw

My Scary Eggplant Germinated in 4 Days!!! Now what?

17 years ago

Well, at least I didn't have to be scared for very long :) My 4 yr. old daughter and I just finished dancing around the kitchen after seeing our very first green sprouts of the year!! 4 days for eggplant at 80 degrees, who would have imagined!

I put 2 seeds in each 2 liter bottle and there was nothing there yesterday morning. I checked this morning and 1 of them was up 1 inch. One in the other container was just starting to poke through. The other two are probably not far behind but I don't want to wait for them so I took off the plastic wrap cover and put them under the lights immediately. I don't know how well that will work because they are planted about 6" from the top of the bottle so the light will always be that far away. What do you think I should do about that? Maineman, how do you deal with them??

I guess to answer that question you need to know about my lights. I am going to post on the "growing under lights" forum also but here goes:

Went to Wal Mart to buy lights yesterday. Somebody I saw on a local morning show said to get one cool and one warm light. I SO didn't know what I was doing. This is what the packaging says on what I bought...

The one I'm assuming is cool

GE F40T12 (it says residential light)

3150 lumens, 40 watts, 4100k, cri 72 (what is that?)

And warm

GE F40T12 (says kitchen and bath)

3400 lumens, 40 watts, 3000k, cri 72

If I have a shop light hanging over each row of cell packs with one warm bulb and one cool bulb (assuming they are the correct ones) is that going to be enough? the shop light is 7.5 inches deep and the cell packs are about 10.5 inches.

Thanks, guys!!

Comment (1)