SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrizia007

Snubbed and Insulted in Donating Seedlings

Patriz
17 years ago

Hi All...

I'm wondering if this has happened to any of you....you donate seedlings or rooted cuttings to an organization for a plant sale and they sort of insult you that your plants aren't the latest hippest varieties, yet they still ask you to donate every year.

A few years ago I was asked to donate some of my starts and seedlings for a community gardenfest. I donated healthy, labeled, sizable plants (4 inch pots to quart pots) and was snubbed when the person running the table commented that my figs, for example, were sold in the nursery "down the street" and are a dime a dozen...! Well, the common figs are at the nursery but not the varieties that I had donated. Lilacs may be common but my 'Miss Kim' donated lilacs were premium in my book. I got over it and my figs, et al sold out, along with eveything else I had sent.

Last year, I donated seedlings and rooted starts and some not-so-common items, like Honeycomb Yellow Buddleia, Fernleaf Bleeding Heart, and beautiful Lacecap hydrangeas. I got the commment..."everybody has these"...! Once again, my donations sold out to happy customers.

Now this year...word gets out that I have rooted fruit starts (persimmon, fig, pawpaw, etc...) and this event person asked me to donate items to the community table...! What gives? I mean, every year I get a sarcastic comment about the commonness of what I donate, although my stuff is not the average joe marigold and everything sells out.

Of course in the gardening venue, you're going to run into snooty people, but it's getting a little old hearing negative comments about donated items. I've also noticed that other donations were thrown together and poorly labeled. I don't mind donating items for this organization to make some money, as the other people seem fine and happy with whatever they get. This is the last year that I'm donating plants and I'm delivering them to another member of the organization in order to avoid any negative remarks. Thanks for letting me vent about this, so sorry that it's long-winded. I'm curious if you've even run into a situation like this...?

Trish

Comments (29)