SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

AV Death

birdsnblooms
15 years ago

I'm very upset about some of my new AV's.

They've been cared for the same way all the others have, yet they are gone.

Does anyone know if these are more difficult to keep or did I do something stupid?

Ma's Watermelon, Apache Showoff, Tommie Lou, Jeanettes Apple Blossom, Night Fever( NF looked bad when shipped) Midnight Valentine, Tyger, Frozen in Time, and Warm Sunshine.

I feel terrible. I even gave a friend 98% of my old Philos to make room for these beautiful plants. Toni

Comments (37)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Toni,
    More than likely you did something stupid. One of the biggest causes of av loss is overwatering. The AV's that bit the dust are no harder to grow than any others as far as I know. I can't say what might have led to their demise without seeing them.
    Fred in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Is it possible they brought something in with them (bug/virus/fungus/etc) that is not visible to the naked eye and that is what got them?

I hate for you to feel bad about something you love so much.

((hugs))
    Dora

• Related Discussions

How do you fix a house that is a death trap for plants?

Q

Comments (19)
    .... looks like you have all the answers you need. I hope you fare well. When I said no one has taken me to task for suggesting that an understanding of how water behaves in soils is probably the largest step forward a container gardener can make at any one time, I wasn't inviting you or anyone to 'take me to task'. If you really want to have that conversation (about how important that understanding really is) let me know, and I'll happily oblige you. Can you think of a larger step forward a container gardener can make at any one time? A huge % of the problems people come here seeking remediation for are directly related to soil choice as a primary, and watering habits as a secondary. When you DO get the soil right, you actually have to work at over-watering. If you can't water to beyond saturation at will, you're dealing with soil limitations. There is no way around that. And FWIW, how water behaves in media is governed by the laws of physics, so water DOES behave exactly the same way in any given soil in every environment with some minor allowances for altitude. Even changes in wind velocity and temperature don't change how water behaves in media except as it relates to the rate of evaporation or evapotranspiration. The term effort:return relationship takes into account the quality of the returns you get for your efforts. Some people simply spin their wheels year after year, going through the same paces and getting the same return for their effort. Others, who might be willing to invest a little effort in learning how to identify and eliminate those factors imposing limitations on their plants are going to leave the 'it's always worked for me' crowd in their slipstream. Best luck. Al
    ...See More

growing african violets care

Q

Comments (2)
    People before made their own soil instead of using the HD bagged one. I am not promoting using backyard loam, cow manure, sand and all other secret components of this old day soil - but it was much better for the plants then the stuff from HD. So - do not use it straight - add 1/3 of perlite. This soil is preloaded with fertilizer- so do not use any fertilizer for 2 months. It has the wetting agent already in a mix - so do not add dish soap - otherwise your soil will be way too wet. Do not buy these heavy double ceramic pots - they are tricky. The regular plastic pots are better - and you can use mugs, cashepots to cover your plastic pots. You can wet your plants - you can even bath your plants under lukewarm water and leach the soil - but you need to let them dry and blot most of the water with paper towel - before returning back to the window. otherwise the leaves go spotted - that's what your Grandmother prevented by not wetting the leaves - ugly spots. After couple of month your AVs will utilize all the fertilizer - you need to get some for your plants - otherwise they won't bloom. The main cause of AV death - is overwatering or inconsistent watering. Drought to drown is fatal. So - make sure that they never sit in the water in their saucers - splash the leftovers out 10-20 min after watering - and make sure that you know when to water them - lift them up - and if the pot is light - it is time. After some time - you will figure ot how often - may be every five days in summer - and 7 days in winter. Just as Mz F said - read the books, work through the website - find the club or people who grow well in your town. And in no time - it is not a rocket science - you will be growing AVs - your Grandmother would be proud to have. Good Luck irina
    ...See More

abused AV

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi, Jim, The first thing I would do is try to determine why the leaves are limp. If it had been properly watered in the store, they should be firm. Possibly the plant was allowed to dry out to the point of limpness, and then got watered. In some cases, the leaves will then firm up. Feel in the soil with your finger and try to tell that way if the soil feels waterlogged, or just damp. If you have had it for a couple of days and the leaves are still limp, I would then suspect root rot. Put out some newspaper to catch the dirt, and take the plant out of the pot. Before removing any dirt, just sit and look at it for a minute. See anything moving? Any whitish webby areas? If not, gently remove the soil from the root ball. You'll probably find that it is mostly peat moss, which holds an enormous amount of water. You will also probably find the roots very brown if any at all. When you get to the stem portion, is it mushy? If so, this is root rot. Your only chance at this point is to remove the rot working your way up the stem until you get to nice green stem. If you can do this and take off leaves as you work up, you can try to root the remaining crown. You will need a little stem to do so, so take off some more of the leaves until you have a 'stem' at least half an inch long. At this point, I take the crown and immerse it in very warm water to rehydrate the leaves, and leave overnight, changing the water to keep it warm. Then I pot it in a 1-1-1 mix, bag it, and put in a light place until the stems sends out new roots. If you have any moving things in that soil, pitch it in the garbage and kiss your $1.50 goodbye. Good luck. Barbara
    ...See More

The issues of an AV living in a college dorm

Q

Comments (7)
    As far as humidity, should I cover the plant entirely, or do I need to allow for airflow? (Thanks, by the way. I think I can handle that method.) I don't need to worry about the gnats, then? I read somewhere that the larvae might eat new roots, and where my violet is trying to take root, that worried me. If they won't hurt the plant, then I suppose I can deal with them later. Should I be surprised that even though it's just taking root, and having so many other issues besides, the foolish thing is actually flowering? It's brand new and fairly small, but it has two flowers and half a dozen buds. This is since it's been repotted, mind. Thanks for the help!
    ...See More
  • birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fred, you are blunt..LOL
    The only thing that bothers me is, all the AV's that died are from the same nursery..my other new AV's, those bought locally, and older Av's are fine..There is nothing to see..just soil and a few dead leaves.

Dora, thanks..as I mentioned to Fred, all the AV's that died are from the same nursery..Now that you mention it, I wonder if their plants had a problem. It's not insects, but possibly disease. I've never dwelt with fungal/viral diseases before so it's hard to say. Heck, I don't know even know what to look for. :(
    Thanks so much, hugs back to you, Toni

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Maybe it's the soil. Maybe you thought you were giving them all the same care, but if the soil in the pots of the ones that died was too heavy, and you were inadvertently overwatering them, that could definitely have done it. I mention this because I've gotten plants that had this odd soil that was too heavy and didn't show moisture or lack of moisture very well. I literally had to dig in the soil a little ways down to try and decide if I thought it needed watering or not. And when in doubt... I let the plants start to wilt just the slightest bit before watering. Now, though, I just change the soil to a kind that I like as soon as possible after receiving the plant. That way, everybody's got the same thing going on, and it's a little easier to coordinate. I still evaluate one by one, but usually, the soil dries out at the same rate, and I can water everything at once.

That being said, Warm Sunshine and I have just not been getting along. I tried starting leaves, no success. Bought a plug, it died. Next step is getting a plant. Haven't gotten myself around to that yet... don't want to feel the bite of rejection again right now : ) Oh, I've also had one Frozen in Time croak, but the other one is growing rampantly. I do blame myself for that Frozen in Time though, no mystery there. (whoops)

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,

I am apt to agree with quinnfyre. I would really suspect the soil. Did you repot any of the plants into new soil from that nursery? I think I know where you bought those plants from, without giving out any names, I know that they grow their plants in very dense soils. If you watered the plants the same way you did your other plants they may have basically drowned in the dense soil.

Larry

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Seriously Toni,
    If all the plants you bought from the same nursery died, I would suspect it was something that they had. I would also contact them and let them know of your experience with their plants. If they don't volunteer to replace them, cross them off your list. BTW if they do offer, when you get the replacements, take off a few leaves and root them to start new plants. DON'T FORGET TO ISOLATE.
    Fred in NJ

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Quinn..haven't seen you around..Are you okay? Did you go on vactation or just busy?
    Quinn, I don't water plants by schedule..soil is checked before adding water to all plants, despite the type.
    Frozen in Time is so pretty. Were you in a 'lazy,' mood? LOL. Was it new?
    Do you think Sunshine is harder to care for?
    Now I have to decide what to do about replacing..:) Most AV's that died are only sold at the same nursery they were originally purchased, in other words, I can't find them elsewhere.
    Violet Barn has 4 Av's that are very very nice. Ma's Second Thoughts, (Ma's White Elephant,) Buckeye Butterflies and possibly, Rainbow Quiet Rod.
    I also found some interesting AV's on Ebay..havent' made up my mind yet..
    Other than the two, how are your other plants doing?
    I hope you're okay, Quinn. It's nice seeing you again.

Hi Larry..Actually, since these AV's were the newest, I didn't dare pot..The plants were small. Night Fever looked bad the day it arrived. I'll tell you one thing, I've never seen plants go to plant heaven as quickly as these guys.. As I said to Quinnfyre, I only water when soil is a bit on the dry side..I dont want to blame the nursery, then again, if it was my doing, why are my other plants alive and well? The house has been humid..is it possible to have too much humidity??

Hey Fred..To be honest, I'm embarrassed calling..:(
    For one, they probably get several complaints from people who call about the smallest issue. And legitimate problems, too, but by today's standards, the customer isn't always right. But mainly, if it was my fault I'd feel bad.
    You're right though, they should be made aware if there is a problem with soil. I'd be thrilled if they replaced with the same plants. And YES, in the future, I will take leaf cuttings. Do you root leaves upon plant arrival?
    Nope, won't forget to isolate..Toni

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

Toni,

Just found your post. I'm so sorry you lost so many of your violets. Such a shame! You really should notify that vendor and tell them all your others are doing ok, except theirs.

cyberdancer

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Cyberdancer..thank you..I don't know what to do. I'm a bit embarrassed, you know? Then again, their plants were on the high side, not to mention shipping.
    Do you think an email would do? Toni

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,

You're absolutely right, you paid a lot of money for those plants. If you feel more comfortable sending an email, then do it that way. I would surely let them know. I don't think they would ALL die if there wasn't something wrong with them. Maybe someone else has complained and that will validate your complaint. Good Luck! It's better than not trying at all.

cyberdancer

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

(offering a different perspective here)

As a business owner I would absolutely want to know that you experienced problems with my product, no matter what the conditions. When my customers/clients have ANYTHING less than a PERFECT experience, I want to know about it.

As a business, my main goal it to provide a quality product along with a quality service. If you are too embarrassed to let me know that I have a problem, how will I prevent it from happening again? How will I be able to offer a quality product if something is happening that I don't know about?

I WANT you to contact me. Sure, there may be some awkwardness but it gives me the opportunity to make it right so that you leave the situation feeling like I care.....because I absolutely do.

I'm not preaching or being critical of your embarrassment - I am hoping to help you see that as a business owner, I want to know when people are not satisfied 100%.

Dora

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Cyberdancer. I feel terrible about this whole incident.
    Dora and Cyberdancer, I agree most owners, legit owners, would want to know if there is a defect with their product, be it plants, electronics, or furniture..the problem is there are a good number of buyers who make a mountain out of a molehill.
    I (personally) talk to 4 nursery owners in other states. (via the phone) They've told me stories that were so ridiculous and insulting, if it hadn't been their bread and butter it'd be comical. Some buyers resort to leaving negative feedback without first consulting the owner to resolve the issue, if there is an issue. One owner of a succulent nursery told me about a woman who phoned him at his house..she first called around midnight, the second call came in at 4am. Nice. She mentioned, (on Gardenwatchdog.com) without shame, phoning him at midnight, neglecting to mention the 4am call. Her complaint was: one plant she ordered hadn't arrived with the others.
    The problem is a good number of people make unnecessary complaints, then when something really goes wrong, the owners disbelieve customers.
    If I was a regular it wouldn't be so difficult, but because I'd only ordered twice, and the owner doesn't know me, I feel uncomfortable.
    But yes, I agree with you Dora, a legit owner would want to be made aware of a problem with their wares.
    There are two nursery owners who, when given negative feedback, get VERY angry, insult the customers, and refuse to reimburse. Plus, they HAVE to get the last word in, which is a surprise to me, since customer service makes a big difference when it comes to sales. One of the two owners have it noted on their site, NO refunds be it the day of shipment or a week later.

I haven't yet made up my mind what to do. I may email, or write it off as a loss. But I won't order from them again..It's sad because they have some beautiful AV's. Thanks for your advice though..Toni
    PS. Dora, I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I surely know what you mean, and since you're a business woman, I respect your attitude.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

I understand, really, I do.

Whoever those two nursery owners are - they won't be in business for long and I certainly wouldn't want to do business with them.

Maybe I live and operate in a bubble but I believe that whatever you put out comes back to you and those that are making nasty waves will reap it whether they are a customer or a business.

I can only be responsible for myself and my business and I know how I want to be thought of and how I want people to refer to me - that's how I operate. I wish others were like this too but I deal in reality.

Whatever you decide, I'm confident it will be the right decision for you because you will have thought it out and weighed all the neccesary considerations.

blessings,
    Dora

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Toni,

sorry you lost some plants. I don't think there has been a determination as to why they died; was it due to the grower, or was it their new home? In all fairness to both you and the seller of these plants, you really should e-mail or call them and describe exactly what you did and exactly how they died. Suck it up, girlfriend, and take care of it.

Barbara

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

Toni, Toni!

Do it exactly as Barbara is telling you to. Just be nice and don't make demands. Just tell them of your experience and how disappointed you are. You really don't have anything to lose. As you've already said, you won't be ordering from them again. The worst that can happen is they say....no, they won't do anything about it, or you could be surprised and they'll offer to help out. It shouldn't matter that you're a first time customer. I understand you're uncomfortable about it, so it is your decision. Hey, there are always more violets around. Let us know what happens.

cyberdancer

• flowergirl70ks
    15 years ago

Here are a couple of thoughts I had when reading this post. A friend gave me 3 babies, potted up. It was 3 weeks before they needed water. She had used crystals when she potted them so she wouldn't have to water so often. Is there a chance thats what all those that died were potted in? Also you could check the company out on Garden Watchdog and see what their reputation is.

• adahlberg
    15 years ago

Interesting! I ordered some av's & they looked terrific when they arrived but they too died. The only ones that were affected were from the same shipment. Some of mine that died were appleblossom, valentine, amber, ma's grinning grape, antheflores pansy and kalamazoo. Weird. Did we order from the same company in MI.? The plants were of outstanding quality so it appeared. I was able to save some by taking cuttings just before it was too late. Well the person should know of this problem but I am also embarrassed to speak up. We'll see. I'd like to know if it the same nursery?!
    Andrea

• irina_co
    15 years ago

I would say the plants could suffer during delivery - they could be overheated for example. Then the leaves will start to die first.

But I think Fred already mentioned as well as other people. You get a new plant - inspect it for the bugs, if the soil is right - and put a leaf or 2 down. That's why a broken leaf is not a problem - it goes to the solo cup. And - isolate-isolate-isolate.

The second thing - plants sometimes rot and die without evident reason - especially if they are not transplanted for year or more. You see that your plant is starting to wilt - even if the soil is moist - get it out of the soil - remove the rotten roots - and reroot the crown.

I would say in 90% of the cases you can save a plant this way.

Irina

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Hi Toni, I've been excessively busy, so I pop in here and there but can't regularly. To answer your questions: Frozen in Time no.1 was in the front row, and hadn't been robust for a while. Not bad, just not robust. Frozen in Time no.2 however was robust from the very first. Anyway, got too busy to even look at my plants, and the next chance I got, Frozen in Time no.1 had been fried, unsalvagable. Luckily, Frozen in Time no.2 is still doing fabulous. I can't say whether or not Warm Sunshine is harder to care for. I think I had bad luck, cuz my plug rotted right away. The other plugs I got at the same time (which includes Frozen in Time no.2) are super healthy. Eh, it happens.

I've been on a policy of putting down a leaf from a new plant as soon as I get it. I'm liking that policy. It means that you have a backup plan. I also have a policy of repotting immediately. Unless the plant is larger and doing well, and the soil looks okay. But if it's a young plant, it gets new soil. I've also been bagging new plants if they look like they're small and could use a little help. Remember though, that I am an underwaterer : ) I lose more plants to drying out than to rot.

Are you actually embarrassed? Or just bashful? Because you didn't do anything wrong, so there's no reason to be embarrassed. Bashful or shy, on the other hand... I've been there. I still hate calling strangers on the phone. But e-mail? No problem. I say give it a go.

Hope your other plants are still doing well!

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,

I hope you are doing well. I saw one of your other posts where you said you weren't feeling well. I got my AVSA Magazine, was wondering if you finally got yours and what you thought of it.
    Maybe it's the wrong time to ask??? Hope you are OK.

cyberdancer

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy All,
    I've been very busy hauling plants in the house..it's a lot more work than taking them outside..Whew.

The good news is, I got my AV magazine today. Sept issue. What a beautiful AV on the cover. Tonight while relaxing after several days work, I'm going to sit back and read.

Dora, you're not living in a bubble..I'd hate to think so, but there are very few honest people in the world.
    For instance..we got a new tv June 28th 2008. It stopped working; it just went out. No, we didnt get the waranty, but who expects a tv to burn out 2 months after purchase..(it stopped working in August) I've called, recalled, and rerecalled the store and manufacturer, and still they're causing grief. A serviceman finally came out..I was expecting him to fix it. NOPE..he ordered a part, said, it'll be in the mail 7-10 business days, then to call back. It took a long time getting through to a HUMAN. Even then, the store blamed the manufacturer, and visa versa..all I wanted was to bring it back to the store and exhange..No dice. I have the receipt. This is one example of many. People want to sell, after a sale, it's up to the buyer, no matter what.

Barbara, if I knew 100% it was their fault, I'd have called long ago. Because I'm not certain, I feel guilty. You'd have to know me to understand. On the other hand, if other AV's died, I'd know it was my fault, but they're all alive and well, still I dont want to place blame.

Cyberdancer, I know, I know.. :) Would you like to call for me? LOL..j/k..the plants are in the back room..I thought perhaps a miracle would occur, but apparently not. They are goners. It's probably too late to phone, they'll think it's my fault for sure..

Flowergirl. The Av's were potted in soil. Because they were isolated, I hadn't yet repotted. Normally, I don't repot new plants when they fist arrive. Any type, unless they're so rootbound the pot tips over. They need to adapt, acclimate to their new surroundings. I've done this for years. I checked GWD, and there very little feedback for this nursery..8 including mine. The person who left feedback before I did was Oct 4, 2006. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so hasty leaving it the same day they arrived..Oh well.

Andrea, the nursery isn't in MI. I'm sorry you lost Av's, too..I'm also sorry I didn't take leaf cuttings.. some that arrived only had a few leaves to begin with, but if I'd known what was going to happen, they'd be in a glass of water rooting.

Irina, in the future, I'll know to root leaves. Like I told Andrea, some plants had few leaves. Not to mention broken when plants arrived. I was irked about that. Those leaves were probably from the AV's that only had a few leaves.

Quinfyre..Since you underwater, perhaps you should think about wicking??? Especially when you're busy.
    What are plugs? LOL..Are they similar to peat pellets?

Am I bashful, shy, embarrassed? Guess you can say I'm all 3..LOL..I mentioned in another post I was shy.
    The problem is, if people were honest, I wouldnt think twice about phoning, but so many people lie, (trying to get free stuff) or complain about the least little thing, where there is no problem to complain about. In the meantime, ppl who call with good intentions are not believed.
    But everyone is right, I should email them. At least to warm some of their AV's have problems. Believe me, in the last 4 years of ordering plants, only two times did I contact the owners. Because I did a lot of business with them, there wasn't a problem. They sent new plants, and all arrived in perfect condition.
    Well, actually, there was a third nursery, that is expensive, ship tiny tiny plants, prices trippled while pot sizes decreased. They do not sell Av's. They had the nerve to send a citrus seedling that was under 3" tall. It died days after receiving..I grow citrus, so it wasn't my fault the plant died..I never ordered from them again, but I did call to complain. A few months later I placed another order with them..the plant was so small and unhealthy, I called while holding the package..they replaced the plant, which was 5 times the size of the first. That was it for that nursery.

Thanks everyone..I hope you're all well, preparing for autumn. Take care. Toni

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

Toni,

Well, I am GLAD, GLAD, GLAD that you are OK----that you got your magazine----and that the rest of your violets are doing fine. Enjoy the magazine!

cyberdancer

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Oh, plugs are just these one yr old plants, which look like they were grown in a seedling tray. I like them because they're faster than starting leaves, and don't come with very much soil at all, so you can immediately get them started in the soil of your choice.

I'm not entirely sold on the notion of wicking. Not that I think that there's anything wrong with it, but only that I think that it may not be right for me. I feel like it's taking a step away from me that I prefer to have, even if I mess it up sometimes. I don't know if that makes any sense... but basically, I feel like I'm removing myself from the equation too much...

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Isn't it interesting that I experience wicking as a "safety net" for me and my plants? Its a way to have care/watering in a consitent way in case I get sidetracked and can't do it. I get to enjoy more plants with less time and more pleasure.

I think I hear you saying that part of your pleasure comes in the actual day to day care and watering of the plants yourself.

Dora

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Guys..We've had non-stop rain in IL, since Thurs night.
    Our basement is flooded, big time; what a mess!!

Quinn..thanks. I know I shouldn't have,:) but ordered a few more Av's..4 from Ebay, 1 (Brass Band) from a new nursery.
    They should arrive tomorrow.
    Hubby set up a shelf..it's perfect..now I can sort AV's, and still have enough room..whooppee.
    Quinn, I know what you mean about wicking..I feel the same..I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it either, to each his own, but I prefer working on plants on a one to one basis..Then again, if we had several hundreds of violets like some, we might feel different. LOL
    So far, cross my fingers, all Av's are fine.

Dora, you're right about Quinn..I feel the same as she. Inspecting plants for faded flowers, and pests is a daily ritual.
    Because of all the rain, tropicals are in heaven..so much humidity!! Toni

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Humidity? Plants? Tropicals?
    What about my lungs and my daughter's curly hair? LOL
    Sorry about the basement :(

I like inspecting too but I'd rather be enjoying the beauty of the stuff above the dirt than dealing with the cup/water below and losing one of my babies because I dropped the ball due to life. I'm prone to do that (miss a day or two of taking care of them)..and I gotta have a safety net so I don't lose my plants. And.....my 4 year old thinks more of her ability to help than I do of her ability to help and watering is off limits to her unless she is pouring into the baby food jar. This way, at least, she is not watering from the top and totally killing them, :)

The more I discover about AVs - the more I learn and believe that it suits all kinds of people, mannerisms, personalities and schedules. I've also learned (from an encounter this week) that just because you (not you...but generally speaking everyone) have more plants than another person doesn't necessarily mean you love the hobby more. Good lesson for me. It means you both love it in different but meaningful ways. I guess wicking is the same too, eh?

Also - can you believe how many responses this one thread has gotten? And how many blinkers there have been on the topic? LOL

Dora

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dora..How are you doing?
    What in the heck is a blinker? LOL..You've made a ha-ha, but I dont get it..please explain blinker.

Dora, humidity bothers your lungs? I'm so sorry hearing that..curly hair isnt a problem, but lungs are.
    Humidity frizzles hair, but think about the problems dry air causes. It bothers me..even if I didnt have plants, I'd HAVE to use a humidifer..can't breath.
    Also, dry air is bad for our complexion. It too messes up hair. My hair turns brittle in winter. No daily shampoo. Even using conditioners. I have sensitive skin, when air is dry, so is my skin. It feels like sandpaper..60%+ suits me fine..LOL

That's sooo funny about your 4 yr old..at least she takes interest. You have to explain the requirments of plants and soil. She may be too young to understand though..Maybe you should buy her her own plant..Perhaps a bog plant? There's a few to choose from..they live in water, so if she adds more it won't matter..Explain, that's her plant, the others are yours. Place the bog in her bedroom.
    If you'd like, I can find a list of bogs to choose from.

Dora, I agree with you, ppl who have numerous plants have no more love than a person who has one.
    Just look at the number of people with beautiful gardens, yet they don't pluck a weed, NOPE, they have gardeners do the work, and they get the credit. LOL

There are times we've gone to the conservatory. After viewing huge, beautiful specimens, I want all..be it ferns or cacti.
    There's always room for 'one' more..LOL.

Do you mind explaining the encounter you came across this week?
    Wicking is a matter of choice. There is no right or wrong way..as long as plants are healthy and look good, that's what counts.

Some people live in appartments and are limited to space and sun. Does that mean they like plants any less? Nope..actually, I'd say they're more concerned knowing a plant wouldn't have sufficient light or room to grow.

Some people like jewerly, others brand-name clothes or collectables..Then there are people who love greens. It doesn't matter if they have one, ten or a thousand.

So, wicking or watering one on one, is a matter of choice.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

A blinker is when you change lanes/topics/subjects without advanced notice. It's a kind of code word that I had to come up with my hubby when we married so he would know that he needed to change and keep up with me when I speed through a conversation with him.

Our dinner is ready - I'll have to come back and finish this in a while.

Dora

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

I hereby dub Toni: The Queen Of The Blinkers.

• larry_b
    15 years ago

I hereby dub Toni: The Queen Of The Blinkers.

LOL at m3

On the subject of whether people with large collections love plants more than those people with small collections, I can say personally that now that my collection is smaller I am enjoying my plants much more. At one time I just had too many and it was becoming too much of a job rather than a joy to take care of them. That's only me though.

Larry

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dora, you speed through conversations too? My hubby gets so mixed up when I'm hyped up when buying/talking plants.

LOL M3.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Larry, how many, and which plants did you donate/sell?
    How did you part with your plants? It'd be so hard to do. Toni

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

My apologies that I didn't come back after dinner and finish my post. I decided instead to go to bed and sleep. Yesterday was not my day and I wanted it to be over.

Toni,
    I can appreciate that you like 60% humidity and it helps your hair and skin....we live with 80-88% here EVERY SINGLE DAY and in the summer, it can get upwards of 95%. It's like trying to breather in a sauna. It can be oppressive to my lungs.

Sure, the plants love it but it is hard on one's human body. I relish winter coming because that mans it will drop into the 70's percentage wise and that will be better for me.

I do change blinkers rather often in my converstations, it's part of my personality and when I talk to my plants, they don't seem to mind at all :) They just sit there and say, "Uh, huh...." and then go back to growing/blooming.

As far as the encounter...I've seen someone with over 300 plants who is so overwhelmed that she can't see straight and her husband has completed checked out from their relationship because of how the whole AV/plant thing has taken over their house and how a pure hatred for anything plant related controls him. This, to me, isn't love for plants...its the inability to set boundaries and pay attention to the things that do matter (like relationships and/or taking care of plants properly). I own the fact that this is a judgement call and I probably don't understand the "whole picture" but it's still my observation.

Then - I met an elderly woman this past week who is in an assisted living nursing home. She has one tiny window in her room that faces the morning sun. She has 2 plants there which sit all alone but to hear her talk about how she grooms them each and every day and has taken care of them for more than 8 years, one would be a total moron to not realize how much she loves these two plants. They (IMO) are in some sore need of rescue and grooming, but her love for them is great and she just needs some guidance.

I just learned from that lesson that the number of plants you have does not equal the love for the hobby or your dedication/committment to the hobby. It is a personal endeavor for each individual. I used to say that I loved this hobby because it doesn't have anything to do with me being a wife, mother, church member or business owner - it has to do with me being me. I like who I am and I'm fairly confident that other people like who I am too; however, there are few things that personally and privately and publically thrill me (in this kind of way) as much as tending to these AVs, learning about their cultivation, watching them grow and listening to them communicate to me through their conditions and the beautiful blooms - it's like them singing to me.

Larry - when anything gets more than one can handle - there is no fun. Good on you for figuring that out and proceeding accordingly in what was best for you. I was talking to someone the other day and remarked, "One can have AVs with a little bit of a life or one can have a little bit of AVs with a life.

So, Toni....back to the original post of this thread. What decision did you come to about contacting the vendor about the AVs that died?

Dora

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi Dora and Toni,

At the peak I had around 60 African violets and gesneriads. That doesn't sound like a lot, but I have fibromyalgia in my hands and shoulders and 60 AVs and gessies is a lot for me. Also about three years ago my wife got breast cancer and I was basically the primary caregiver for the time that she had treatment. I think there is only so much nurturing that I can give and all my nurturing went to her and not much went to the African violets.

I didn't give away any of the plants. They'd basically died and from neglect. It really was a blessing though. Considering how much space I had I didn't have room for all of them. Many of the plants were juveniles and I had no idea where they would have fit when they grew up. Unfortunately not all of my least favorite violets died and some of my absolute favorites did die. I guess that's the way life is. Now I have around 40 African violets and gesneriads. They pretty much fit in the plant stands and that's about what I can handle. Now they are doing well and blooming and are a joy to look at.

Larry

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi..Dora, IL's humidity was 90%+ more than a month, (it's about 80% now) yet it had no effect on me. In fact, I can honestly say it was comfortable..:)
    70F is too chilly..80's perfect.
    We don't use a/c or c/a..only open windows and fans. My sister calls us Amish..LOL

Odd, I feel the cold/dry air, takes a lot out of humans. Have you ever lived in an area where temps dip -0 for days to weeks? It's terrible. As soon as the temps drop, so does humidity. Going out when temps are 1F, the wind feels like it's taking your breath away. Unless one is wearing thick gloves and a scarf, your face and hands feel like they're going to fall off.
    Shoveling heavy snow isn't fun either. (though we don't get as much as we used to.) (many elderly die after shoveling, and/or winter in general.) Icy winds are unbearable.

Also, winter is a very depressing time of year. If icy days aren't bad enough, months of gray days are. Suicides rise, too.
    But, to each his own. If everyone had the same tastes, it'd be a boring world.

Does the woman who has 300 plants care for them? Did she have plants before her hubby set a ring on her finger?
    If she's buying plants and neglecting them, then it sounds like she has an obsession, not to mention creating problems for her marriage.
    If she's taking proper care, maybe she needs something in her life..Do they have children? Pets? If she has kids, are they grown? Many women are nuturing types, so after kids leave the nest women grow lonely.
    Do you think the woman in the nursing home would like another plant? One she doesn't have? Poor lady..

Dora, since so much time has lapsed, if I were to phone/email the nursery, they'd say it is my fault, so I'm going to count it a loss.

Larry, I pray your wife is okay.
    Of course, your wife is number 1 priority. Being care-taker, cooking, cleaning, and other chores, it'd be difficult adding plants to the list. Impossible.
    I think you're the same Larry who visits another forum, right?
    In the winter of 2006, our son approached me and confessed he had a drug addiction. I was devestated. A serious drug problem, a very bad drug.
    When he told me, it was like the world had ended. I lost interest in everything..I didn't turn on the computer, stopped watching tv, couldn't eat, wasn't taking phone calls, and neglected plants..I have NO idea how they survived, though a few died..they went w/o water several months. At the time, I didnt care if they all died.
    It took 5 months before I woke up. He confessed a week before Thanksgiving, and I went into hiding Nov-April. I vowed I wasn't going to add more, but you see how that worked out. :)

If you're satified with the number of plants you have, although it's difficult, try not to purchase more. They accumulate fast, which is understanding since there are so many beautiful varieties.
    Avoid plant websites and nurseries. And Ebay!!

Again, I hope your wife is fine...hugs, Toni

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

i have no point of reference for weather that cold and don't mind if I ever do...that's why I live where I live :)

A few members of our AV society have been exploring the idea of an AV community program with the assisted living place here in town.
    Here's what we have been thinking and I'm certainly open to more ideas (yes, this is another blinker)

We are growing leaves/starter plants to a point of healthy and almost blooming and then taking one each to the residents that want one. A group of us would go every other week to do a small program and tend to the violet that the resident has. Many of these residents are wheelchair bound but still have full mental capacity and would relish in being able to do something like this (we think) without leaving the center.

So - the lady at the asst living - we think she will get more. We don't know if we'll put them in the resident's rooms or in the sun room or both. Still working all those details out.

Re: the lady with the violets. She had very little. She does not enjoy the plants and all of the reasons you mention are probably a possibility. I can't imagine how depressing it must be to look at those plants dying everyday and have all that crap spread out all over her house. I understand her husband's POV and several of us from our local society are trying to help her get it all straightened out and organized and under control. She's got barriers and challenges, that's for sure.

Dora

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy Dora..
    I don't blame you for living where you do..LOL.
    If possible, I'd pack my plants, pets, and a few essentials and head south or west. South with the birds.

I think your idea about bringing baby violets to people in the nursing home is quite generous and compassionate..I'd bet quite a few people gardened in their younger days.
    Plants are so comforting, it'd give the elderly something to do rather than sit around staring at the walls.
    What type of plants does the one woman have? I'd ask her opinion where she'd like to keep a new plant..perhaps she'd feel her judgement needed, rather than having ppl do the thinking for her. My mother's in a nursing home..they can't keep plants in their rooms, but there are areas where plants and pets are kept..the poor birds are locked in cages 24/7, 'which upsets me,' but birds flying around may not be a good idea..LOL. There are people who fear birds, forgot its phobia name.

Heck, many ppl in wheel chairs garden. A local nature-center, (Botanical Gardens) here in IL has one garden area constructed for the handicapped. Plants are high enough to touch..

Does the woman with 300 plants belong to your violet society? Why in the world would she buy so many plants then neglect them? What's her point? Do you think she's trying to drive her husband mad? LOL.
    Do you and/or others from your organization visit her? Perhaps you guys should inspect her plants, toss out the dead/dying, and try rescuing the rest.
    Maybe she needs a boost? Praise her for any plant doing well, if any. That's ashame. Sheesh. I have no idea why a person would go through the trouble of buying more plants when they don't care for those they have.
    Now that you said most of her plants are sad-looking, I take back possible reasons she has so many. A nuturing person wouldn't let plants die, unless there was a reason: illness, etc.

Good luck trying to convince her to slow down..Toni