SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Too many rose books

11 years ago

I've got so many rose books and old catalogs. I think I am keeping most of them for the pictures. I have got some huge ( all the roses known to man) books and many more smaller ones that tell you what rose to plant where and how to make sachets and jam out of them. Others are from Japan or Europe and have roses that don't do well in my climate. Some have information that I don't follow anymore or else is so basic that it isn't useful to me.

There are pictures that inspired me to plant completely unsuitable roses for my area and size and color descriptions that never matched my roses when I grew them. Some of them are just totally useless except as art or inspiration. I remember trying to grow delphiniums and snapdragons and pansies and watching the roses shoot past them like rockets and I planted catnip instead of catmint not knowing the difference.

But I learned to mulch and to dig a big planting hole and all that basic stuff. These days I like the big Vintage Gardens book with it's great descriptions. Between that and the big book with the picture of every rose there is( and the parents of the pictured rose) I might be satisfied. Still I keep buying the books with all the gorgeous garden pictures even if they have basically the same listings of the same few roses of each class. And it doesn't stop there....I buy magazines too. At least I put the magazine pages in sleeves in a binder and throw the rest out.

The books that really make me laugh are the ones called "Best Ever Roses" or something like that full of roses that wouldn't do a thing here. But it's got great pictures of someone's garden that they spent years to create so I buy it anyway.

Comments (12)