SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vee_new

How Many Books are Too Many?

vee_new
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Fingers crossed but we are moving (or relocating as you say in the US) to a new, easier to manage house only a mile or so from where we now live.

When I told my Sister-in-Law about the possible move the first thing she said was "Well you can get rid of all those books for a start" as though they were just a heap of junk!

It is true we did have probably over 700 hundred books, some of them yellowing pb's, others left by my late Mother, books our three children had kept, even several piles that had come our way through aged relatives of friends of my parents, really a step too far as we had never known these people.

I girded my loins and threw out all the books that had seen better days and found a bookshop in deepest Somerset that takes anything 'readable' plus they were willing to send a driver to collect them. I didn't have the energy to sell anything and just donated even the ones going back to the 1800's. That got rid of about 500 of them but am planning to take the rest with us . . . if the dry-lined walls of the 'new' house can support the weight of bookshelves. Where we are now is built of stone and brick and over two hundred years old so walls don't collapse easily.

How have RP'ers dealt with giving up much enjoyed books? Has it been a wrench?

Comments (27)