SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentherapy

Superior Genetics

greentherapy
16 years ago

I picked this poor little thing up from a local greenhouse, was so underwatered and lacking light that all the leaves were sponges and it couldn't even stand on it's own,

That was only about 7 months ago, The stupid thing just won't stop blooming!!!!!!

Not that I want it to stop but I thought 'dear god it's gonna wipe itself out'

So I just kept cutting off it's spikes and lo it created a keiki.

At first I freted about it cause a keiki is only supposed to appear if the plant is under stress, dying, last ditch attempt or whatever.

But the leaves are so healthy, plump and great color, the roots are healthy, everything about it looks good.

So at the moment it has 5 spikes, 1 keiki and is growing leaves at the same time. Granted 3 of the spikes are off of a previous one but like I said, I kept cutting them off and they kept popping up, in fact two of the spikes if you will notice are actually growing from the base of the keiki.

hahaha, this orchid had no tag and was forgotten, they said it arrived in the bottom of a box of brassia's, under the paper- has got to have superior genetics to many of the others out there.

I'm amazed by it, if I was a breeder in any way I would be trying to cross it with whatever I could to boost the gene pool a bit.

I have other phals that perform amazingly for me but this one has had 13 spikes in 7 months.

I'm just glad I will have two soon.

GreenTherapy

{{gwi:207560}}

{{gwi:207561}}

{{gwi:207562}}

{{gwi:207563}}

Comments (20)