SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Spring Whine

melissa_thefarm
16 years ago

We're nearing the end of February. Spring is less than a month away. The weather is warm: lows above freezing, highs in the sixties; the Teas and Chinas are putting on new growth and setting buds; the woodland bulbs, which normally bloom in March, are in full flower; the yellow Dutch crocuses have begun to open. We're weeks ahead of schedule for spring, and it isn't right.

The last two years we have had warm, relatively dry winters, and unusually hot and droughty summers. This year is shaping up to be the same. Normally, late fall to early winter, and late winter to mid spring are when we get our rain, and then in summer we have a few dry months, hot in the day and comfortable at night. The roses love it. This winter we've had three inches of rain in the last three months, and there's no significant rain in the forecast. The air, even in the hills, is polluted; the sky is hazy and the light is dull; and since the start of the new year we have had a notable run of respiratory problems in our family and in the community. We got enough chill hours and frost this winter than I'm not worried about our temperate climate plants, but at the moment, prospects for summer don't look good. My greatest worry is that our local water supply will run dry as it did in 2003. The township will haul up water for the households if need be, but forget watering the garden then. At least we got all our plants in the ground by Christmas, so they've had some time to settle in before the droughty season arrives.

I do what I can: amend the ground, mulch, plant trees in the area surrounding the garden. The most frustrating aspect of the drought is not that our plants in the ground die: so far we've managed to keep most of our babies alive through the summers; but without water they just won't grow. We dig, we plant, we nurse our roses along, but there's no reward of growth or flower. Well, I suppose I must look at it as an experiment: creating a dry-climate garden. And then, I don't believe it's going to be dry for the rest of time. Sooner or later we're going to have a year when it rains; if not this year, then next year, or the year after that. And the roses WILL grow and bloom! And cold will come as well and I'll lament over the damage done to all the slightly tender plants I've put in the garden in this warm stretch of years. It's all part of this gardener's education.

Your thoughts on gardening and climate?

Melissa

Comments (6)