SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annedickinson

Woke up to disaster

annedickinson
13 years ago

When I went out to the pond this AM there was only about 8" of water in the pond. The outflow from the skippy filter to the stream had plugged with a piece of plant and the water had overflowed. What saved the day was that the prefilter had landed on a slant on the lily plant pot so it didn't pump the pond lower.

Funny thing - yesterday at the pond store I asked if they sold anything that would shut off the pump if the water level got too low. They said no. I was also thinking that today I would make some kind of a mesh/strainer protector to put in front of the outflow to keep a plant or anything else from plugging it.

Should have acted on my thoughts yesterday!!!

BF said he would make a shut off contraption for me, but I just found one on line for about $50. I will look further for one cheaper, but that is my next pond purchase!!!!

One good thing is that I can see that the water lily is sending out lots of leaves and buds. There is even a new little plant starting. I put a lily fertizler in the pot while I was checking it. I had been concerned because there were only 2 leaves that had reached the surface so far. More are on the way.

Now I just have to get the pump started again. May have to clean the gunk out from around the impeller if it doesn't start up.

Main thing is that the fish are okay. I have fresh water warming up to put in the pond. I just hope that much fresh water doesn't cause them problems, but I don't have much choice.

Should I add only about 20 or 40 gals a day til full? Will it be helpful to space it out to give the water a chance to normalize a little?? Pond is about 160 gals. What a shock for those poor fish.

Anne

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths