SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Some musings during z9 pruning season

jerome
16 years ago

Great day because I got out in the garden, pruned and moved several roses to make room for some teas: Thomasville Old Gold and Alliance Franco-Russe.

Was going to shovel prune an ancient Mr. Lincoln, but in digging it up discovered that the canes had gone "own root" in several places, so I sawed off the bottom and planted the rooted cane, which was really big. Have any of you all ever done that with success?

Several Abe Darbys were moved to better places, and I was happy to see that they are finally showing signs of doing something this year (after planting them in Â04!). Gave them super-deluxe planting treatment, and hope they do well in their new homes.

ThereÂs still one really big gap in the Refectory garden that is bordered by Mlle de Sombreuil, Wllm R. Smith, GrandmotherÂs Hat, Yolande dÂAragon and Marie van Houtte. All of these will be enormous roses in my climate and all of them except MvH and MdS are on the way already. I am pondering what to put there.

What is interesting is to find that pruning becomes more fun each year...and I donÂt do each bush the same way. This is my 4th season doing this, and it just gets better and better. What is most fun is to watch the things I donÂt do...to see the plants just develop on their own. What a gift this gardening; what joy, these roses

Jerome

Comments (19)