SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Orchid case air circulation question

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

Yesterday I decided to set up a small orchid case for some of my small, humidity sensitive plants. Since it's been so blasted cold this year, the humidity in my grow room as been terrible and I could see some of these plants suffering.

The plants are sitting on waffle grating a couple of inches above a 1/2 inch or so of water in the bottom of the case. Even with the top of the case completely open (no cover), the humidity has been staying at or above 70% inside the case.

Here's the question:

I don't have a fan inside the case, but I do have a small fan about 3 feet away from the case directed at the opening of the case. I can see that the air flow is making its way into the case because the leaves and flowers on the plants are moving. Is this enough air movement or should I definitely put a small fan inside?

Another question:

I remember someone mentioning those plug-in air fresheners with the built-in fans. Has anyone tried them in orchid cases (without the air freshener crap of course)? I noticed them at the grocery store the other day for about $6. If they do work, that would certainly be a cheap and quick fix.

Kevin

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio