SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A special Orchid question for Al/Tapla

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

Al, I have never wanted to grow Orchids like I want to do so now, especially the fragrant ones.

I have been looking at web sites for Orchids and E-bay and everyone one of them sells SPECIAL Orchid food for blooms which usually has a much higher middle number. I saw one that had read 10.50.10!

Now I know that growing orchids is much different in the sense that many are grown on bark which drains more than freely with salts not something to build up as in soil mixtures.. I consider them a whole different species than tropical plants. Some are aroid needing just spraying on the ariel roots.

Does the same hold true for them to be satisfied with just a regular dose of Foliage Pro, or do they really need a much higher does of Phosphate to do the trick to encourage blooms?

My gut feeling tells me to feed them as I would all my other plants, and yet I do not want to assume anything since all these websites are either lying, money hungry, or just plain ole stupid.

Even the hydrponics store I just got back from tried to sell me a special food for helping orchids during their just vegitative stage, the one for their budding stage come the spring and both Urea free.

Here are a couple of sites I would love you to see what I am talking about. Thanks so much!

http://hirts-gardens.hostedbywebstore.com/Better-Gro-Orchid-Water-Soluble-16oz/dp/B004Z6JOXY?traffic_src=bing_shopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=bing_shopping

Here is a link that might be useful: Food for Orchids

Comments (15)