SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
byron_1

Beautiful Cattleya, but I lost the tag.

byron_1
15 years ago

Can some one tell me what is the name of this Cattleya?

{{gwi:205106}}

The flowers are around 5 inches across, and usually are of a deeper purple, but they turn lighter depending on the how much filtered sunlight they receive. The pseudobulbs are long and the leaves long too. A very large slim orchid about two feet long pseudobulbs.

Hope you can help.

Comments (19)

• bubba62
    15 years ago

Can't say for sure, but it's definitely a variety or hybrid of Laelia purpurata. Var. werkhauserii (spelling?) is one possibility, but that usually shows more contrast between the labellum (dark blue/purple) and the rest of the bloom, which is purer white. Lc. Canhamiana, a primary hybrid (L. purpurata x C. mossiae) is another possibility.

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Byron,

I agree with Bubba. There's no question of at least some Laelia purpurata in your plant.

Beautiful flower! Enjoy!!

--Stitz--

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Definitely lots of Purpurata in it.
    From the description of the plant (slim orchid, long pbulbs and long leaves) - it really sounds like the species

But, in my book, once a NOID, always a NOID

Beautiful blooms!
    Olya

• orchid126
    15 years ago

It looks a little too purple to be LC Canhamiana. Canhamiana is paler and more blue. But definitely much laelia purpurata influence in it.

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

I already keep a pot label and written records for each plant. I will start adding a label to the inside of each pot. I will also start purchasing "tie" labels to add to appropriate plants.

If I lose any IDs, I will go nuts. It only takes an extra minute. It costs virtually nothing.

--Stitz--

• byron_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

See the strangest thing about this orchid is that in low filtered sunlight it can have completely white petals and the violet lip you see here. The more the sunlight the purpler the flower.

However, if I give it around 70% sunlight the flowers come out completely purple with the violet lip a bit darker than you see it here.

So, normally that is the colour of the flower.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I checked with experts, and it is a Laelia Purpurata.

I know that is is a new cultivar, around five years old. Apparently very rare since I have searched the whole internet for it, and have not found one exactly like it. Very close though.

If any one knows of a website with lots of pictures of Laelia Purpurata I would appreciate it so much.

• species_crab
    15 years ago

It looks quite a bit like L. purpurata var. flammea, but I agree with Olya. Really, once it's a no id it's always a noid. If you have a list to compare this name against then it should be fairly easy to figure out what this is.

Some advice: keep a list of any orchids you acquire. That way of you do lose a tag then you'll be able to get a very good idea of what the noid might be when it finally does bloom.

Alex

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Byron, How can "experts" determine the identity of a plant by a photograph??? I agree with Olya and Alex, once a NOID, always a NOID.

The best that anyone can say at this point is that IT APPEARS LIKE Laelia purpurata.

It's still a beautiful flowering plant!

--Stitz--

• byron_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Found it!..... I found the label. He he... haha yesss!!!

It is a Laelia Pacavia. It says Hybrid Cattleya Orchid "Laelia Pacavia". That is all that it says.

It is a new cultivar. It should had said more than this since there are so many Laelia Pacavias.

The most amazing thing about this orchid is that it can be all white with purple lip, or pastel purple with purple lip or purple with denser purple lip.

It will all depend on how much sunlight you give it.

May be this can shed more light on the plant.

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Just before i read the last couple of posts i was to post this...
    {{gwi:205107}}

Laelia purpurata var. carnea

Must agree with the posters who said looks like is not good enough. There was just something about the form of the orchid that was not quite right.

As for the name. I'm still waiting to find out if the AOS and other national bodies have accepted the name changes in the RHS Register. According to those records this orchid is now a Sophronitis.

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Looking at Arthur's picture and comparing to my carnea
    {{gwi:205109}}From Orchids June 2008

no, it is probably is not the species, and I would agree with the above poster(s) and would bet my money on Lc. Canhamiana, as far as the guessing game goes
    But it is a beautiful NOID unless you keep a database of your orchid names and can compare against.

Beautiful, beautiful blooms!!
    Olya

• byron_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Guys, like I said before, I found the tag. It was in one of my garden drawers. I just did not look there because I thought I had it in the pot. I could not miss it because it is a large pink colour tag.

It is a Laelia Pacavia. But that is all it says. All of your orchids look a bit alike, except notice that your flowers have wider side petals than mine. The flowers also appear a bit smaller. This is a huge plant with about 2 feet pseudobulbs. They are kind of slim. Never get fat at the center. The flowers are about five inches in with, and the petals look thick .

It would be a nightmare to find out what it was if I did not have the tag. The flowers change in colour depending on the type of sun light they are grown under. From white and purple lip to all purple with a darker purple lip and everything in between.

It is a hybrid, for it states so on the tag.

Thanks for all of your help!

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

oh, my bad...i did not even see your post when i posted! weird
    Pacavia! Huh I would not have guessed as the color is different from what I would expect. But hey, you got the tag, so that is what it is

Pacavia is a primary hybrid between L. pupurata and tenebrosa, so all of us were right - lots of purpurata in it!

• highjack
    15 years ago

Your Lailia Pacavia is now a Sophronitis. It is a very old primary cross between purpurata x tenebrosa. Depending on the parents used, it can look quite different. The parents also have the very tall pbulbs.

The changing of colors is common regarding the amount of sun/shade in which the plant is grown. I would also suspect any fertilizer given to it will also influence the color, any PH change in the water, etc.

Since you found the tag, why not contact the originator to find out the names of the particular parents.

Brooke

• byron_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The package said it was a new cultivar. The plant costed me about $45.00 at Home Depot. That was around seven years ago. There are many types of Laelia Pacavia. I went to the internet and found many pictures of different types. Not just in colour, but in the shape of the petals.

I wish something else will come after the name so that we could sort them out.

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Bryon, from time to time they remake these older hybrids with "better" parents, so that is probably what they are talking about when they say "new cultivar".

So if your plant is a seedling (raised from seed) it will be unique. As happened with a compot of C. Walkerinter that i purchased some years ago. Each one that flowered was different. Some good others not so good. This too was a very old hybrid remade with better parents.

Your plant cannot be sorted out because of lack of information on the label.
    It could be a seedling as described above or it could be a mericlone (copy).

More information in the FAQ "What does all this name stuff mean".

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Byron, When your Pacavia wins a flower quality award, please let us know the cultivar name! :)

--Stitz--

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

from a very recent email, clanorchids.com:

Cultural Tip of the Month
    Orphan Orchids
    Throughout the year, Our orchid friends will drop by with a beautifully grown, out of bloom Orchid with a faded or missing label, with the plea "Can You Tell Me what this is". I wish we could, we have a better chance of winning the Florida lottery. With 32,000 species and 117,000+ man made hybrids, identification, of an out of bloom Orchid, is at best a SWAG (Scientific, Wild A-- Guess). Often, the genus/alliance can be guessed, with some certainty, but beyond that it is pure SWAG. So what to do, the simple answer is use a pencil to write your name labels. A #2 pencil is best, some of our personal plants still have legible labels 30 years after joining our collection. Second point, secured the label to the plant, not the pot, with bell wire or aluminum wire. Over time printed labels and permanent markers fade, and unsecured labels disappear.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting