SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Oh no what have I done

16 years ago

Okay - after 2 and a half years of being on this board and growing orchids, I can in no way claim I'm 'knowledgeable' in this field, but at least I've developed enough sense to generally not freak out over small things like I used to - panicking over a single crimp in a leaf, or a root that stalled etc... that sort of thing.

But now that I've finally expanded to orchids that have winter rest periods, I now am faced with an issue which I have no idea how to deal with.

My coelogyne nitida is making new growths, and it is not supposed to do that! As someone else once said on this forum...don't my orchids read their culture sheets?! Anyway, I kept this one outside till temps dropped to 5 degrees C (40F) and tried to with-hold water. Then I brought it inside and kept it by a coolish window, refraining from watering. Unfortunately (for the plant) my house is much warmer, even now in the winter, than it was outside during those few weeks of 5-10 degrees C, and I'm really worried that the plant now thinks it's entered another growing season. According to the culture sheets however, the plant needs 3 months of cool rest to produce healthy growths. Am I doomed?

Furthermore, I'm supposed to withhold water until actively growing. What does that mean exactly? I know orchids that start pseudobulbs first, and roots 2 months later, once the bulb matures. Does 'active growth' mean 'active root growth'? I don't see the sense in watering now before any new roots emerge.

The bottom line is, I've secured an aquarium to place in my basement which is quite cool, and I plan on putting the plant inside with misters to simulate a winter cloud forest type environment, but now that it's decided to pop two new growths, I don't know what to do. Water more now and give more warmth? Keep warm and water when roots appear? Keep cool but water more? Keep cool and dry as per culture sheets despite new growths/until new roots appear? So many combinations and variables...even 'doing nothing' is something!

This plant was sent with a bunch of existing growths with leaves, and 5 maturing growths in the summer. 3 have turned brown and died, although I see that it is simply the leaves that have died - they still have tiny green round p.bulbs which did successfully form. The other 2 growths stalled. Other than losing a whole bunch of leaves from the existing growths, which was incredibly discouraging and depressing, this plant did nothing during the humid warm summer outdoors (could have been too hot??). So yeah, these new growths are the first thing that has happened to this plant, so I'm really hoping to get this right. Any help from you experienced folk would be highly appreciated!

Comments (7)