SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Newbie questions about siting, sunshine, pots vs. in ground

kristimama
16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Oh no... what have I done? Citrus experts, are you willing to trudge through this long post and give me your thoughts? THANKS!

So this weekend I went berserk for a bunch of varieties of dwarf citrus from Four Winds and I really don't know what to do now.

I bought an Owari Satsuma, Clementine, Meyers Lemon, and Murcott tangerine.

Here are my big issues:

1) SITING and SUNLIGHT

I initially envisioned these in large terra cotta pots on a concrete patio on the eastern side of my house. Through winter and early spring, this spot gets filtered light in the early morning (we have lots of 50+ yr old monterey pines in the neighborhood). By 10 am ish there's direct sun. It's warm sunshine by noon and stays direct and warm till about 4 pm when the sun starts to be hidden by the house. From Spring through Fall, this is a much warmer spot. Direct sunlight from about 9 am to 4-5-even 6 pm.

Will this get enough sun for dwarf citrus? Of the 4 I bought, are there some varieties that might do better in that space than others?

Or should I just forget about it?

Which leads me to my next question...

2) PLANTING IN GROUND on WEST EXPOSURE?

So, the other half of my yard gets full West, South West exposure year round. Is that an option for these dwarves?

This side of the yard has a level sod lawn with about a 3' border planting area that runs along my foundation. I was thinking that if the patio is not sunny enough, I could put at least 1 or maybe 2 of the dwarves in ground in the planting border next to the house.

But I've also read here that there are cons to planting near lawn. If I did it, I would mound up the soil and direct the sprinklers away from the citrus.

But I have also read that too much sun can scorch citrus, and that side of the house definitely get scorching afternoon sun during our hot summer and fall Indian summer. So maybe that's not the solution either?

So I'm just completely confused.

Assuming I can find the right spot for these dwarfs....

3) HOW MUCH FRUIT?

I've seen posts here that say their dwarfs put out tons of fruit. Another that say they got only 2 or 3 tangerines. My husband is a bit skeptical of the dwarf varieties... saying he can't imagine such a little thing will yield any fruit and that we are making a huge investment in pots and soil and the $25/each dwarfs. I know they smell lovely, but part of my objective is to grow things I can eat. Just wondering if they'll be worth my effort, given my site constraints.

4) CLAY SOIL

Speaking of constraints, if I go with planting in ground, we have REALLY clay-ey soil here, made worse by some recent construction that compacted the soils even more.

How deep do citrus--namely dwarf citrus--go. We tilled the clay 8ish inches, but there's probably hardpan at 12/14 inches.

THANKS for slogging through all this and providing any insights, advice, or commiseration you can offer.

Comments (3)