SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hammy4260

Wedding Flowers? Determined to grow to bloom!!!

hammy4260
15 years ago

It's been great reading from your site in the past. We are finally courageous enough to ask for help from all of you.

My fiance' and I are planning on growing some potted plants for table centerpieces at our wedding. We have the following questions and welcome any tips from all experts and novices alike from this forum.

We plan to grow Nasturtium, Sunflower (dwarf size), and Chrysanthemums.

Questions:

1. When should we start each type of plant approximately for our wedding in Late July 2009? We are confident that the plants will grow, but the thing is that we would love to see blooms on the table.

2. Where should we grow them. Start them indoors I assume? We live in Maryland (zone 7). I know light and temperature are careful considerations. We have a portable outdoor greenhouse available for, and we have a room in our house we can keep them in though there is not a tons of avaialable window light in that room. We also have ample garden space outside, but I would guess they shouldn't go out until they are strong and it is warm.

3. What should we grow them in? I was planning to use very moist peat pots until germination plus a week or two, but after that I'd like to put them in the actual pot we plan to use as our centerpiece. It is about a 5x5x5inch galvanized tin pot. Is that big enough for the roots of these plants? Everything sound ok as far as container size?

4. Any other care or growing tips? We have some bloom fertilizer which I plan to use cautiously, but only once the plants get a little bit stronger. We are also planning to grow pansies, violas, and petunias from seed in small 3 inch pots to give to guests as gifts, so if anyone has tips to the same inquiries for those plants, much appreciated.

I know the task we are taking on will require much time and attention, but any advice you all could offer that would help us is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt in Maryland?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations