SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

'last frost date'....what does this mean please?!

Just to clarify, yes I've posted this on another subforum on this website. However the reason I'm posting this again is because I'm unsure if where I put the post originally is the appropriate place to put my post, so I decided to put it here. The reason for this is because it does kind of correlate with starting from seed.

When I look at seed packets, they instruct and specify to start growing anything outdoors (vegetables, herbs, and/or flowers) AFTER danger of frost has passed. People have also suggested that I plant before or after my last frost date, I'm not sure which. I don't understand what this means when people suggest this to me. Somebody gave me a list of cities in Michigan with their frost dates; unfortunately Boyne City Michigan isn't listed among these cities, which is where I live.

Somebody suggested to me that if I plant cool weather vegetables in mid-march in Michigan, I'd be okay. Now I know that cool weather veggies like cool weather, but if the weather is too cold, then they'll die.

Could somebody please shed some light on this? I'm really confused regarding it and don't understand what it means.

Comments (4)