SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

the dandelion & last frost

digit
12 years ago

Since a cold spring has weighed so heavily on gardeners here, I have tried to pay special attention to what the plants have been doing, when.

April set a record for having the coldest average temperature ever. I'm not sure how May is shaping up. It was 35F on May 27th, in my garden. Albeit not record-setting, the last frosts were on the mornings of May 16th & 17th.

In fact, we have kind of slipped into the growing season here. On our only day with a high above 75F, winds were gusting above 40mph! Well, I guess we were not slipping anywhere that day - maybe slightly into Montana . . .

Full-bloom of the common lilacs came and once again, no frost-damage occurred. But the timing was close, very close.

Another very successful plant, the dandelion has now bloomed-its-fool-head-off ! We all know the dandelion and have seen how its flowers respond to darkness by closing. It is sensitive enough that daylight will not prompt the bloom to reopen, the dandelion requires sunshine.

Relying on my memories, I do not seem to have any problem recalling the image of frost on dandelion plants, even those with flower buds. However, the development of the stem and seed-head comes a few days after blooming - a few at first, then many more of the stems shoot up another several inches, and the seeds begin to mature.

The stem thins during its final growth. It may have happened on the 16th and 17th this year - a few of these stems had elongated and were frosted but that did not happen in my yard. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that when this happens -- the stem is damaged to the extent that it folds over and the seed-head drops back onto the ground.

The dandelions held onto their seeds about 4 days before they were released this year. I believe that these 4 days were necessary for the seed to fully mature. The seed would not be viable if that process had been interrupted by the stem freezing.

There it is! When dandelions begin to mature seed, the danger of frost has passed.

Of course, the dandelion does not have a hot line to heaven. Still, given the success of this little creature - I am convinced that it is responding appropriately to past events with great sensitivity. All this, despite the dandelion's reputation for vanity and trivial behavior.

Steve

now if you have read all this, to my way of thinking, you deserve a treat. this youtube video has nothing to do with dandelions and frost but it does have to do with treats! GW doesn't seem to like youtube these days so you will have to select, copy and paste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw

Comments (12)