SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Confused orchids? Global warming?

orchidnick
15 years ago

I'm going to talk about the unusual behavior of 2 Dendrobiums, D Avrill's Gold and D Hilda Poxon, both Australian Dendrobiums Hybrids I have had for years. Since 1996 I have enjoyed Avrill's Gold blooming in early December and gracing the Xmas table with deep yellow/orange flowers with generous red sprinkles. Hilda earlier and less predictable.

This year Avrill has already had 4 flower spikes, one at a time starting in August, 2 more are well developed, will be long gone by Xmas and 9 more early buds which should be in bloom for the holidays. The most it has ever done was 6 at a time in Dec so I'm not complaining about the 9 it will probably have this year. This year it will have had 15 spikes, more than twice the largest number so far. Whats more startling is that 6 of them happened totally out of phase by as much of 4 months early and scattered over 5 months. Hilda is following a similar pattern. Both plants have never known the inside of a greenhouse, all aspects of care have been unchanged for years.

In addition both plants have produced flowers of pure deep yellow/orange and lemon yellow (Hilda) with not the lightest sprinkling of red as is the usual case. I have known that the warmer the weather the less red but have never seen a total absence thereof.

Both plants then have done the following:

1) Bloomed 4 months early.

2) Scattered the flowering over 5 months.

3) More than doubled the usual number of spikes.

4) A total absence of the red sprinkling normally seen.

Is this another indication of unusual climatic conditions? I would love to hear from others about unusual behavior of plants grown outside, exposed to the elements. Greenhouse plants under controlled conditions obviously would not be affected by climate change.

Nick

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting