SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Welcome message for newcomers to the forum

whitecat8
16 years ago

When I joined this forum a couple of years ago, before I got to the first page of messages, there was a set of guidelines for the forum. Maybe it's standard for all GW forums.

Anyway, it said that, before I posted, I should search the FAQs and the archives to make sure my question hadn't been answered already, that I'd get the best help if forum members saw I'd done my homework first. It also said I should make the title of my post specific. Maybe there was an example similar to "Black spot on Vanda leaf" vs. "HELP!!!!"

The first few times I posted, I said I'd searched the FAQs and the archives and apologized if I'd missed the info.

It may be those guidelines aren't there anymore, or perhaps panicked novices are zipping past them.

Perhaps we could create a welcome message that stayed as the first message and got returned to the top if someone responded. It could welcome forum newcomers and give tips on how to get the best help on the forum for their orchids.

Maybe list contents of the "Orchid Forum First Aid Kit" (FAQs and archives) as a first step; perhaps list the FAQ topics, so they can see right there if info's available immediately; encourage people to be specific in titles of their posts as a 2nd; 3rd, to give the name of the orchid in their post, if they know it; and 4th, to use the options that seem to fit their situation - while the basics of orchid culture are the same, there are various ways of achieving them, and forum members may offer conflicting suggestions for the same problem.

Maybe there are other points, and those might not be the most relevant, and someone else could infuse humor. I was thinking 4-5 points max. When people are new to orchids, they can be afraid that their plant is going to die in the next hour, so a lot of text won't be helpful.

Forums are a two-way street, and a message like this also would acquaint newcomers with their side of the responsibility equation.

How does this sound?

Whitecat8

Comments (6)