SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lou_texas

What kind of tool carrier do you use?

lou_texas
10 years ago

I'm interested in knowing what you use to carry your gardening tools around with you. I'm most interested in something that you'd wear on the move like an apron or tool belt. I'd like to be free to walk around in the beds w/o a carry-all and be able to snip something or tie up something on the spot and not have to backtrack to find the carry-all. It's difficult for me to be climbing in and out of my raised beds often because I'm having balance problems. I think I'm going to have to start carrying a cane with me. But then that's another thing to keep up with.

Most of the gardening aprons I've seen are kind of flimsy to be weighted down with pruners, shears, knives, and the like, and when you bend forward, they flop forward. If your tools aren't secured, they fall out. Some are made of heavy canvas or leather and might be less floppy. I'm thinking that maybe with elastic at the top of the pocket the tools wouldn't fall out. (?)

Perhaps a tool belt would be better, but they seem so heavy and awkward around the waist. Do most of you wear your pruners in a holster? What about carrying other tools in a holster?

Do any of you wear something loosely fitted like a fisherman's vest with lots of pockets for cell phone and twine, but one that also has sturdy pockets large enough for pruners and diggers? Or do you have something with loops to hold this kind of tool?

I'm always putting my pruners and scissors in my pants pockets, but most of them aren't made of sturdy jeans material and don't last well because of the pointed ends of the tools.

Or do you just carry your 'bucket' of tools everywhere you walk and find that's the easiest?

Thanks, Lou

Comments (33)