SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
largolad

Fussy Fish

largolad
9 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum, thanks for having me. I originally posted in the Pets forum & was advised to come here...makes sense. My problem is this....my fish won't eat the new pellets & I am worried. I am stuck with 20 kilo's! (I changed from flakes when my regular supplier closed & pellets are way cheaper. I got a lead on food from another member but I am in Australia. Should I ignore the fishes fussy behaviour or bend to their blackmail & buy more flakes? Another question.....has anyone had success treating the bumps some of the fish develop? I am also posting part of the "pet forum" reply to save typing....(Pet Forum blurb:- "Thanks for the advice "socks12345", yes I am aware they slow down in winter. They are over a foot long now & I've had them about 10 years when they were only an inch long! The Koi are the biggest but I have 6 types of Carp....Goldfish, Comets, Shubunkens, Black Moors, Fantails & the Koi of course. You are correct about the tumours. It doesn't harm them until the other fish start picking at them, then it is not only unsightly but also open to infection. It is expensive to treat the entire pond so sometimes I will catch an affected fish & place it in isolation (a bucket with a bubbler to aerate it & netted in case they jump) for a couple of weeks. I haven't had any success treating sick fish, they normally end up dying. The Koi are terrible bullies! They frequently eat the babies & smallest fish and even bite the tails off the smaller breeds if they don't stay behind! There is a real hierarchy going on! But they are stunning to look at and have real personality! Anyway thanks again for your advice & I do have a lead on some food by one of the members in the forum & I will continue my research." anyway thanks in advance & nice to meet you all. Thanks for the forum & happy Mothers Day in the USA!

Comments (6)