SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
koijoyii

Is it me? the economy? I just don't get it!!!!!!!

koijoyii
12 years ago

Last year my koi had lots and lots of fry as some of you may remember. I posted here that anyone in or around the Cleveland area could come and get free koi fry. They were there for the taking. Several pond forum buddies did take some off my hands. The remaining fry that I caught with a minnow trap I was able to take to a local pet store. I think I must have given them 100 or more. I was just happy to find homes for them. On occassion the owners (two brothers) would give me something in return (i.e. blood worm larvae, wh, wl). When I drained my settlement pond last fall I had approximately 24 more koi fry (one of them was a beautiful orange long fin I wanted to keep). I called the pet store and they told me they would be happy to take them off my hands. Since it was the end of the ponding season I asked them if I would be able to settle up with them next spring for 3 water hyacinths and 3 water lettuce. They said sure no problem. I also had 10-12 larger koi in my top pond and they told me they would be happy to take them out to their 3 acre farm pond in the spring.

I waited till my water temp was around 70 degrees and called the pet store on Saturday to see if they had wh/wl. The brother who answered the phone said they did and I explained to him I was the one who gave them the koi last summer and asked him if I could get three of each. He told me sure to come on in and they would fix me up and everything would be "on the house." They picked out three wh/wl and took them up to the register then told me it would be $5. I told them they said it would be on the house to settle for the koi I gave them last summer. One of the brothers told me I didn't bring them koi I brought them goldfish. I told him that I thought he was mistaken me for somebody else. He said "You may have thought you were bringing us koi, but they all turned out to be goldfish." I was shocked. He told me he still had two of them in one of the aquariums in the back if I wanted to see them. I told him I didn't because I know every fish I brought to them was a koi. He said it was $5 for the wh/wl I could take it or leave it. I paid the $5 and walked out. When I got home and went to put the wh/wl in my settlement pond I noticed the wl didn't have any roots and were falling apart. I was so hurt. Why would one of the brothers just turn on me like that? I don't know what they sold the koi for, but they really made a profit. I didn't even care. I just wanted the koi to go to good homes. I have about 25 more koi fry that are going to be a year old that I was going to give them this year. I even trained the koi to swim into the net for food so I would be able to catch them. I will never go back to that store again. I feel like they took advantage of me. When I was walking out of the store the one brother told me he would be more than happy to help me catch the rest of the smaller fish in my pond using a wall net. I responded by saying, "why would you want them if they are just goldfish."

Jenny

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting