SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Dividing: I just don't get it

Sorry to post about what is ridiculously obvious to most of you. But I thought I knew what I was doing, from reading here, and now I find I just don't.

I grew dahlias for the first time this year, all from a box of "mixed' varieties from Sam's Club (mixed turned out to mean 2 pink, 2 salmon, and 20 small yellow that look just like chrysanthemums). I have printed out instructions and pictures found here for digging, dividing, and storing.

I started digging the small yellows today: we had a light frost last week and they were half dead. I chose my least favorite, the yellows, to dig first for the experience. I had no problem getting them up with a pitchfork.

Here is where the confusion hit. I have clumps, some as big as softballs, of densely packed fat little oval balls. It was hard to even get most of the dirt off from between them. I don't get where to cut them off the stem. They seem to have lots of eyes, if I am interpreting these bumps correctly. The stems are hard and woody. How to you divide 3-4 stems among 20-25 balls? And what is a "Neck"? Or do I cut them off where they taper down into a stringy attachment to the main clump? I now have a kajillion of these yellow ones so don't need to maximize output for next year: just don't want to kill them all.

Thanks!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville