SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Once bloomers in cold zones?

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

I am curious about cold zone (zone 5 and below) gardens and roses. Suzy Verrier once suggested a once blooming rose to me when I was at her nursery trying to find a hostess gift for a friend of mine who lives in Kennebunkport. I said the once blooming part might be a problem. She laughed, and said that it bloomed heavily for 2 1/2 months, and since that was about the length of the "growing season" there, it did not matter.

That made me think ...hmm.... if you gardened where the growing season was so short, did that mean that many of those luscious old once blooming roses (the European ones that need winter chill to be happy) would be actually better in the garden than the ever blooming types, because they would bloom more heavily, and for the entire season that was available?

So, if any of you who garden in really cold climates grow once bloomers, could you let me know if this theory is correct? I have once bloomers in my garden, but they are or are related to roses from asia, not Europe. I love them because they do bloom heavily, and start early, so we get some blooming roses in Jan-March, before the others start.

Just musing, but every gardening area has its drawbacks and opportunities, and I thought it would be neat if cold weather gardens could benefit from the gorgeous old European once bloomers, which would bloom as long as any roses would in their climates. Comments?

Jackie

Comments (14)