SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Things shrink

gandle
15 years ago

Son,DIL, grandson and his fiancee were here Christmas eve and day. Son got out some of the old picture albums and while going through them found a picture of me on a hay wagon just as a grappling hook was grabbing the load of hay. I remember the barn as being a very large building with a huge hay mow and lots of stalls for cows and shelter for the horses.

The picture shows the barn was probably the width of the wagon and team or maybe not even that wide.

My father was visible in the background with a team of horses that was pulling the grapple hook rope that went through the pulley at the peak of the barn.

I don't remember the particular time the picture was taken but in my memory the barn was many times bigger than it actually must have been.

Don't know why I was on one of the hay wagons, was usually delegated as the one that had to stay in the hay mow and do what we called "mowing back the hay", wonder if "mow" used as a verb should have 2 w's, doubt it. Its not mow as mowing the lawn but meaning to take a pitchfork and very quickly spread the huge bunch of hay all over evenly in the mow.

The biggest hazard to being the one in the hay mow was the fact that every so often you would have a live snake land beside you in the load of hay.

After rambling around what I really meant to say that time seems to shrink everything. When we were at the tiny town for a reunion near where I grew up we all went to church on Sunday morning and the building that seemed so large to me probably couldn't seat over 40 people. Even the one room schoolhouse I went to seemed like a big room but I don't think it was really as large as my basement.

One thing time doesn't seem to have shrunk was the waistline of a couple of my old schoolmates, don't remember them being that large.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions