SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbuzzell_gw

Pruning myths...

lbuzzell
11 years ago

I wonder how many of the "rules" we're taught about pruning (of modern roses, OGRs, fruit trees etc) would really hold up to scientific scrutiny? Here are a few that I've heard or read about that I'm not sure are actually true, based in part on an article on the Vintage Garden website that cites British rose studies that showed that no pruning and hedge pruning were more effective for flower production that traditional pruning.

I'd love to hear others' experiences with these "rules" - do they work for your roses?

1. You have to cut all HTs, floribundas and grandifloras back to 5 canes in January in no-frost climates (even if they're blooming) or early spring elsewhere.

2. You must rake up all leaves under roses or disease will be harbored there. (Gregg seems to indicate that the disease dies as soon as the leaves die and that the plants need the nutrition and mulch of their own dead leaves)

3. You have to remove all twiggy growth, even if it's producing flowers.

4. You have to thin out the center of the bush, even if you're in a dry climate, to prevent disease.

5. You want to remove at least 1/3 of the bush every year to promote new growth.

The reason I'm asking about all this is that I don't do any of it and my modern and older roses are fine - no disease and blooming right through the winter here. We remove deadwood whenever we see it, prune for unwanted size in the summer, and do "deep deadheading" when we pick blooms, but otherwise - nada. Are we crazy?

There are equivalent "rules" myths in the fruit tree pruning world that are now being questioned. I wish we had more scientific studies on this to guide us.

Linda

Comments (25)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County