SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Crimson Glory

I have decided to add this red to my collection, but have not found too many mail order nurseries that carry it. I would prefer to not start out with a band, as that takes a while to grow. I dont know whether its best as an own root plant or grafted, and would appreciate advice on the best place to obtain it. Thanks!

Judith

Comments (30)

• len511
    15 years ago

Judith, I saw the title and thought maybe you was going to say you bought one and where you bought it,LOL. I too have always wondered why I don't have it, but have never seen it available where I buy my roses.
    I sort of figure it must be hard to root and probably a big-time bs offender or something.

• jerijen
    15 years ago

It grew poorly for me on its own roots -- sort of like the red HPs it descended from.
    And of course, it mildewed.
    I'd have thought, tho, that it would do better in TX.

All in all, I think this is a rose that, if I wanted to try it again, I would
    want to find a budded plant, or get one budded.

Jeri

• Related Discussions

Has Anyone Grown Crimson Glory Vine?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Ronoldjohn, I had never heard of that so I googled it, and it looks like it might work here along the Front Range. This site is from the UK, so, clearly different growing conditions, but from the info it sounds like a possibility, and I've run into other things on this site that seemed accurate to me. http://www.pfaf.org/user/plant.aspx?latinname=vitis+coignetiae I wasn't looking for this, but also happened to notice a mail order place in CA that's selling it. There are likely other online places that sell it. [I don't know anything about Digging Dog Nursery!] https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwicl_SB75jMAhVkkoMKHbRjDnsQFgg5MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diggingdog.com%2Fpages2%2Fplantpages.php%2FT-0233&usg=AFQjCNHe55ub8CgZWWvEEfoKjPNuz36bTQ&sig2=Tvsc0CehhZMbYxlnO8a2LQ But! Have you ever considered just putting in some nice variety of "real" grape? They grow fast, they get long, and you'd also get something you could actually eat! I have a 'Reliance' grape which is a small red/pink table grape. No seeds, and sweet--when the squirrels don't get them first! Just something to consider! Welcome to RMG, Skybird
    ...See More

Climbing Crimson Glory

Q

Comments (0)
    I was just walking past this rose and saw this beyond fully open bloom. It is over 6 inches in diameter - I have never seen one as big on this bush. Fading towards blue already in the middle of the bloom, which I like. Jackie
    ...See More

Climbing Crimson Glory

Q

Comments (7)
    kittymoonbeam - No, I planted it as a mystery rose which I had taken a cutting of. The original one was growing up a tree in the garden of a small cottage about 3 blocks from my house. The cottage was empty, and on a street which is now 100% commercial, and was scheduled to be replaced with a parking lot (which it was). I normally do not buy red roses, but I love climbers. I had no idea it was fragrant until it got big enough to bloom a couple of years later. Then I was able to identify it. One of my most favorite roses now. Jackie
    ...See More

Climbing vs bush form of Crimson Glory

Q

Comments (11)
    I have Cl Crimson Glory on its own roots. I rooted it from a cutting I took about 10 years ago from what I think was a really old plant (perhaps planted in the 1940s or 50s). It is not a really tall climber - gets about 10 feet tall (or it would, except I have it on a rose folly and then it goes part way up an arch). It is healthy and gorgeous, and does re-bloom several times a Summer. Bloom is not heavy, but the individual blooms are amazingly beautiful and stunningly fragrant. I hardly have any HTs, and don't much like red roses, but I love climbers, which is why I took a cutting of this one. Now it is one of my favorite roses in our garden. I have never seen the bush form - does anyone know how it grows? Jackie
    ...See More
  • alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jeri!! I found one at Appalachian Rose Nursery.....but have to call them to find out if its budded or not. Have you ever ordered from them?
    Judith

• len511
    15 years ago

Just checked garden watchdog, highly rated, don't take cc's,1gal own-root.

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Nope. Never ordered from them, but I look forward to hearing how CG does for you.

Wait 'til you smell it!

Jeri

Original Author
    15 years ago

Crimson Glory is now ordered! I thought I would check at Hortico - lots of times, if I cant find a rose, I check there, even tho they arent mentioned having it on helpmefind. Sure enough.......and it was a grafted plant. There were some others I wanted to order from them, so just added it in! I have heard of CG all the years I have known of roses, but never grew one. Now...seems they arent as prevalent any more. Guess I am on a red kick this year.....I also ordered a Pride of England that I got enabled about on my "red thread" on Roses/Forum. I will pick up Legends and Ingrid Bergman at Teas when I go to Houston in February.....that should satisfy the craving - for reds at least!
    Judith

• organic_tosca
    15 years ago

Take a look at Oklahoma on the Vintage website and also read what Gregg says about it. I am into the older roses myself, but I got Oklahoma for my sister, as she wanted a dark red hybrid tea similar to one she had had in her former home. When it arrived, it had a bud on it, and it was Drop-Dead Gorgeous, both in bud and in full bloom. The fragrance is a little too intense for me, but everyone else just raved about it. I can't say how it will do as time goes on, as I only got it this Fall, but so far it's a strong rose. It also comes in a climbing form.

• curlydoc
    15 years ago

I have bought Crimson Glory own-roots from Roses Unlimited, Vintage, and Amity Nursery, and I have bought grafted Crimson Glory plants from Growquest Nursery and Hortico. The own-root plants have not done as well as the grafted ones, in fact I potted up a couple of own-root CG plants because they appeared to be failing in my soil. There are very few nurseries supplying grafted Crimson Glory that I could find, a real shame. The Growquest plants I believe are on Dr. Huey, and I think the Hortico plant is on Multiflora root stock. One of the Growquest Crimson Glories is my best specimen. However, Growquest owes me for two plants I bought from them that were never delivered. I think they are in bankruptcy. The Hortico plant is doing fine, but I have been growing it in a pot. I do wish other nurseries would supply this wonderful rose, my favorite variety, on grafted root stock, or does someone know of a nursery that would do it on request?

Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolfin, I just bought a Chrysler Imperial, grafted, a week ago. It is a big specimen, has been in a pot a long time but has been apparently well cared for so it should grow well. They had some Mirandy that looked healthy - should have bought one of those too, only $8........I also have what I think is a Papa Meilland - sent by mistake from some nursery a few years ago. It is struggling in a pot - I am going to start working on it, get it growing better. The blooms are very fragrant but not very large, and a very dark red. Guess I have been neglectful of feeding it because I havent been that enamoured of it - but will do better this year......

Curlydoc, sounds like you have tried out plenty of the own root CGs.....like Jeri said, they do better grafted. I feel lucky to get one from Hortico.....this is the only place that offered one, unless I can get lucky and find one in a body bag at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I will keep my eyes open. Wonder why this rose has slipped through the cracks and become so hard to find if its such a good rose? I remember smelling them and fragrance was great. I look forward to growing it.
    Judith

• jbcarr
    15 years ago

I have both the climbing version, and 3 bush varieties. All are own root. The climbing version is definitely more productive for me, and is not a rampant grower, so it could easily be trained as a large shrub. The bushes are all about 3 feet high after almost 4 years. I don't spray, and they can defoliate, but keep on putting out blooms and leaves to replace the dropped ones. I think the climbing version is healthier than the bush.

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Judith, go back and get that Mirandy! I have Mirandy and it is beautiful and very fragrant! If you have Papa M. he will do better when you get him in the ground. I don't think mine liked being in a pot very much either. I got mine in the ground in the fall of 2007 and he was over 6 ft tall last year and had very large blooms that seemed to last a long time on the bush.

Carol

Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol - I think you are right - I need that Mirandy! I actually started to get it, but had already bought 21st Century, a huge Peace and Chrysler Imperial. I bought one several years ago from Chamblees sale bin - it was a gorgeous shrubby thing and before I had a chance to put it in the ground - one of my horses snaked a neck thru the fence and ate it to a nub, unpotted it and it never recovered. This rose at Harris nursery is a huge shrub in a 3 gallon pot and will take off immediately - and for $8 I think that is worth the trip to Tyler - plus some other nurseries to go to! Thats good to hear Papa will do better in the ground - he has languished in his larger pot for several years, never doing anything, but didnt die either. Since he wasnt what I ordered, I never found a spot for him, but think I will do so now. Thanks for the comments!
    Judith

• Molineux
    15 years ago

Crimson Glory doesn't do well on its own roots? Dang it! I so WANTED the climbing version. What is with the Hybrid Teas and their inability to grow well own root? Oh well, that scratches off another rose from my wish list.

• echokat
    15 years ago

Crimson Glory is my favorite rose. It was my mother's favorite as well. As my winter project, I have rooted several varieties of roses for fun of it. CG was the easiest of all to strike roots. Even easier that Caldwell Pink or DdB or even Fortunniana. I will still keep it on own roots and maybe bud it onto Fortunianna. That may be truely awsome !! Kathy

• curlydoc
    15 years ago

Molineux, I have been wanting to order Climbing Crimson Glory from Antique Rose Emporium because they have such a good reputation, but they are sold out. Check it out at:

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/

This is what they say about their Climbing Crimson Glory and this is their picture of it:

"Crimson Glory, Cl.

The climbing version of the rose bred in Germany by Wilhelm Kordes, ÂCrimson Glory is the standard by which all other red roses are judged. Deep velvety crimson in color, the cupped petals hold a rich Damask fragrance. The shrub rose won the National Rose Society Gold Medal in 1936, and the James Alexander Gamble Rose Fragrance Medal in 1961.
    8 to 12 feet Z6-9 R Fr H mr

Availability: Sold Out, all roses are $18.95"

{{gwi:223290}}

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Hey, Molineux!

It does poorly on its own roots HERE.
    But where you are -- that's a whole different ball game.
    And the Cl. version may be more vigorous, too.

If you want it -- TRY it.

Jeri

• luanne
    15 years ago

I have it on its own roots and it does rather magnificently for an unsprayed rose. So many blooms. I will say that it varies from plant to plant and I had a couple which failed before I got this lovely. It needs air and space and I think the shade of the trellis does well by it in the afternoon. Likes its organic compost mulch. What a fragrant thing it is and my personal choice for dark red stinker.
    la

• jbcarr
    15 years ago

The climbing version does just fine on its own roots. Mine is at least 10 years old (can't remember anymore), and is a favorite. "Mannerly climber" describes it well. The scent is to die for in the spring and fall. It does get some disease, but never enough to really slow it down. If it has a fault, its that the stems can be short, so it has to go in a small narrow vase to keep the blossom from falling in the water. They still have good vase life.

• jacqueline9CA
    15 years ago

I grow what Vintage Gardens (Greg) has identified as the climbing version of Crimson Glory. It is on its own roots. I rooted it myself, from a rose growing in an old vacant cottage which was about to be torn down for an office building. I am not good at rooting roses, but it struck almost immediately. It is truly glorious - big dark velvet red blooms, and the best "old fashioned rose" frangrance of any in my garden. I grow it on a 7 foot tall "rose folly". It blooms all summer - as a matter of fact, it has buds on it now, although they probably will not open as it has been too cold.

Maybe the climbing version is better, or I am just lucky to have rooted mine from an old vigorus cultivar (the cottage was very old, probably built in the 1910s, and the lady who lived there had lived there her whole life.), but I would definitely recommend this rose - mine is also healthy - no black spot. I live near the SF Bay in No Cal.

Jackie

• curlydoc
    15 years ago

Jackie, if you have a good robust cultivar of Crimson Glory, it would be a good idea to get it into commerce, because I think there are some weak ones out there right now, and the variety could stand to be reinvigorated. Would Vintage be able to propagate from your cuttings, or can you send out cuttings to interested parties?

• paddlehikeva
    15 years ago

When I visited Nick at Heritage Rosarium last October, I fell in love with his climbing Crimson Glory. He gave me a rose from the plant that I kept as close to my nose as possible for several days. I LOVE the fragrance. Once the bloom faded, I stuck the stem in a pot with the slim hope that it would root. It appeared to be doing fairly well and the buds seemed to be swelling as if they were going to sprout leaves. But a few days ago I noticed it had turned black at the soil line.

I just ordered Cl. Crimson Glory along with Nahema from Roses Unlimited to grow on the privacy fence next to my hot tub. I received a confirmation letter from Pat that they have been reserved for me. HHRD

Does any one grow Nahema?

Kathy

• debnfla8b
    15 years ago

I wish I could find it grafted to Fortuniana. It is my Mom's favorite rose too. I'd love to grow it so I could take her some blooms of it.

Deb

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I have Crimson Glory own root. I believe it either came from Paul Barden or from Vintage. A friend gave it to me several years ago. I am trying to remember where it came from but I think either/or. It has not gotten huge but it is big enough and the blooms are beautiful I did get more basal breaks than many of my ownroot HTs or modern roses and it is pretty darn healthy.

• debnfla8b
    15 years ago

That's wonderful Patricia...I had one own root but the little thing never did grow big. I think I got it from Chamblees. I remember Mama growing 2 of the bushes under the windows at home. These bushes grew pretty big! She would cut dozens of blooms off of them and they just kept pumping the blooms out. These were budded onto Dr. Huey and of course this must have been 40 years ago...maybe not quite that long ago but close!

Deb

• jbcarr
    15 years ago

Vintage has a virus indexed form of the climbing CG.

• curlydoc
    15 years ago

Deb, when I received a 1 gal pot of Crimson Glory that I ordered from Roses Unlimited, it arrived with a blooming CG flower that looked and smelled great. Maybe you could order one just to take to your Mom as a gift.

• jody
    15 years ago

I have two Climbing Crimson Glory ownroot from Roses Unlimited and they are definitely the bomb. They have big glorious, fragrant blooms in abundance and they cycle exceptionally fast for a climber. Even better, they throw long limber, easy to manage canes...none of that stiff stubborn stuff. They do mildew. Not as badly as some other stuff, but they need mildew protection. They've not had any black spot yet, just mildew. DH loves them, they are climbing up the windows and scratching the siding, but they are so beautiful to behold.

• albinnibla
    15 years ago

Hey, I have had one of those since the fall of '01. It got to move from one side of the lawn to the other. It continues to live, and has probably since gone own root, as it was planted with the bud graft union below the soil line.
    It has remained small (about 2") for me as well, but I get about 10 -12 blooms on it a year, which for an HT is a bloom factory. I have considered putting it's climbing offspring behind it, just to help it along.
    albin

Original Author
    15 years ago

For whatever reason, I had in my mind that Climbing CG was a once bloomer and have never paid it much attention. I will certainly pick one up when I go to the Antique Rose Emporium this spring! I have a long fencerow just begging for more climbers - I only have Pink Pillar, Vielchenblau and 3 Lady Banks there now and can sure use a lot more! Cl. CG will definitely be one of them! I just bought a $5 Sally Holmes from Chamblees sale bin recently and they would look very pretty next to each other.
    Judith

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths