SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_871924

Three fine films in one week

Pidge
17 years ago

Christmas was Volver, Friday was The Painted Veil, and today was The Good Shepherd. I hardly know where to start to report on these films because they are all so good, though in very different ways.

Volver (Almodovar film, Spanish subtitles) could be my fave because Penelope Cruz is awesome and the central theme is sisterhood--mothers, daughters, women friends, and actual sisters, and relations with men that include problems of rape and adultery that men think they can get away with--uh, no. The network of women is complex and it's not that these women wipe out the patriarchy but that they challenge and undercut in self-empowering ways. In some ways it reminded me of Allende's work (The Stories of Eva Luna in particular but also the work of other South American women writers, such as Roberta Fernandez and Pat Mora(Chicana) or, to some extent, Rosario Ferre (Puerto Rico). These women live and work in a macho culture but they manipulate it in surprising and even revolutionary ways. It's a film that I'll buy when it comes out on DVD.

The Painted Veil (Ed Norton, Emily Watts) is a cinematic masterpiece. Set in 1920's China, the story recounts an awesomely rigid scientist who marries a social butterfly who needs a husband to support her. Norton goes through the film ramrod straight, dragging his wife to China during a cholera epidemic as a punishment for her infidelity. The story is not entirely original--both are transformed though I won't say how and there is not a happy ending--but the acting is powerful and the landscape beautiful. Toby Jones plays a gone-native colonial with a lot of wit and wisdom accompanied by a Chinese mistress and an almost charming opium habit. I didn't expect to see Diana Rigg in this film, and she plays an older nun with aplomb, a long way from her Emma Peel character. I think Ed Norton is as good an actor as an actor can get, and can play as convincing a romantic lead as much handsomer men. He is very strong in this film.

And then there is The Good Shepherd, the darkest film I've seen since Mystic River or 21 Grams. Matt Damon is excellent but the cast is star-studded by the likes of Angelina Jolie, William Hurt, and Alex Baldwin among others. The plot, like the CIA it portrays, is so complex that one has to work to keep up with it. The central image is the Bay of Pigs invasion of 1961, and the development of the plot is a series of flashbacks and revelations that ensnares the viewer in intrigue and lots of surprises. This film is scary in terms of what its portrait of the murky operations and ethics of the CIA. It's even scarier in terms of its portrait of Yale's Skull and Bones as a wholly clandestine and often homoerotic web of "brotherhood" based on color (white but not Jewish and rarely Catholic), class, and ethnic purity. There is one scene where Wilson (Damon) is speaking to an Italian he is threatening with deportation, Damon remarks that people of color or non-white non-Protestant European ancestry notes that people like him are the only true "Americans" and everyone else is merely a "visitor." I can't imagine that the film would be very popular with the White House or George Sr. who was once director of the CIA. The film is directed by Robert NeNiro and, despite the film's subtlety in terms of current events, it is not a paean of praise to "family values" as they are compromised by organizations like Skull and Bones and the CIA--in fact, the two come across as coterminous.

There are actually some strong women's roles around this year, especially Helen Mirren in The Queen and Penelope Cruz in Volver, and even Emily Watts in The Painted Veil is more signifiant in the film than I thought she would be. On the other hand, women in The Good Shepherd are merely backdrop (even Jolie) for the machinations of men. An interesting group of films that make women look a lot better than they usually do--and doesn't do the same for men; overall I found TGS to be an indictment of patriarchal power struggles as represented by the CIA and clustered under the umbrella of "national security." I'd rather watch Penelope Cruz!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions