SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Oh the bunnies!!

Karolina11
11 years ago

So I have dealt with voles and groundhogs. Unfortunately for me, my neighbor decided that the family of rabbits that moved into her veggie garden were oh SO CUTE! So now I can add another evil critter to my list to deal with. They had not touched anything in my yard until last night where they went crazy on my rose bushes of course.

The following roses bushes were bitten down to 4-6" stubs:
Hotel California
Love
Miss All American Beauty
Belinda's Dream
Rainbow Sorbert
Oranges 'n' Lemons

All are grafted on Dr. Huey and the graft is buries 2-4" under ground.

The following were ownroot bands and bitten to the ground:
Perfume Delight
Touch of Class
English Miss

So while I go get my hardware cloth and repellent, I have a few questions.
1. Most of the bushes were bitten at a 45 degree clean angle. However, a few were broken and not clean. Would you trim them back to a clean cut right now? I am in Central PA with temperatures in the 20s at night and we currently have about a foot of snow on the ground.
2. I am hoping that since all of these are quite hardy (other than maybe the bands), and the graft is buried so there is still a lot of tissue left on top, that they will be fine even with our cold weather. I know it is early in the winter to lose a lot of cane mass but they were definitely dormant and will be dormant for awhile so there is no way they will attempt to start growing at this point. They were all planted last spring but they were all potted so at least two years old then. Anyone think I am wrong? I know it will depend on the rest of our winter but I shouldn't order replacements just yet right?

Thank you much!

Comments (15)