SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueorchid_gw

Serious CHC concerns after repotting.

blueorchid
16 years ago

Last week I visited a local orchid store and asked them for suggestions on the media to use for repotting Oncidium and Miltona. After mentioning about certain problems like crimped bulbs and leaves, the guy suggested that I use a mix of CHC (coconut husk chips) and pumice. Bought CHC bricks from that store, there was no instruction on the packaging and the guy said it is ready to use, just mix it with pumice. I had repotted my orchids using a ready to use fir bark, so I didn't suspect anything and follow exactly what the guy said.

I cleaned the roots from the old barks, cut the dead roots, used slightly larger pots as I thought needed for the root growth. I watered the newly repotted orchids, let the water drain, and saw that the CHC absorbed water really fast. I thought for a second that it's probably much better for the miltonas, as I was concerned with its crimped leaves.

Few days after repotting, this morning I noticed that the CHC on most of my orchids looks weird. I examined them under the sunlight and saw a web of something. Some chips even have tiny green spots, like fungus? Now I really freaked out.

I went back to the store where I bought those CHC bricks, showed one of my orchids to them, hoping they know what it is. The guy said that it's probably nothing and wouldn't harm the plant, asked me to just watch with the watering, etc. and it should probably be ok. I really want to believe the guy, but what if he is wrong?

I considered this a crisis indeed. I have 9 orchids that I repotted last week using the CHC and pumice mix. I know for sure that all my plants had no bugs or fungus prior to repotting them.

I searched on the web to find out more about the CHC bricks that I used last week. Gosh, I wished I would have done that before I repotted my plants, duuh? Some said that it needed to be soaked and dried 3-5 times prior to use, to neutralize it, etc. I didn't soak it at all. Oh, no?! Is that why?

I couldn't find answers from the web forums' FAQs to my crisis, so I joined this forum hoping I will get some expert opinions on this.

What is that webby thing and the tiny spots (that look like fungus) on the CHC? What will they do to my plants? What should I do with my plants now? Should I repot them again using the bark instead?

Has anyone been using CHC before and perhaps encounter the same symptoms?

Comments (19)