SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlfromthegarden

CHC's and container-mix weight query

girlfromthegarden
17 years ago

Hi all, quick question about using CHC as the primary potting medium - when properly hydrated, do these make for an overall lighter-weight container mix than, say, something that's a combo of fir bark, Turface, perlite, crushed granite, sand, other, etc.? I've spent literally hours researching this forum and other sites reading up on best container mixes for citrus and for other plants needing high aeration + good moisture holding, and am thinking of getting a bale of CHCs to use on repotting my four small citrus and also use in my potted figs. What I need to know is something of the "heft" to the stuff for a couple reasons: a.) ease of moving containers around, and b.) stability under wind conditions (my figs can get top-heavy quickly and keel over in a brisk breeze if I don't have the pots half-buried in the ground). The seedling key limes and kumquat are still small, not as much a concern, but for the bigger plants going into large pots, I'd really like to know general comparison of how folks using all or mostly CHC for their pot medium rate it weight-wise compared with a mix such as bark/peatmoss/sand, for instance. And is it preferable to have something added to the CHCs just to add more weight and/or inorganic components? Thanks!

Sherry

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths